As you may have heard, September is Baby Safety Month! There has been a lot of media coverage recently about the dangers of improper swaddling, including suffocation and Hip Dysplasia. According to a recent survey conducted by HALO Innovations, 82% of parents choose to swaddle, and swaddling improperly can lead to Hip Dysplasia or dislocation. Hip Dysplasia is actually one of the most common conditions among newborn babies, affecting about 1% of North American newborns (about 75,000 per year).
The American Academy of Pediatrics is urging Pediatricians to watch for signs of hip dysplasia and dislocation and to warn parents not to extend their baby’s frog-like legs straight when swaddling. There’s a temptation to stretch the legs out and that needs to be resisted. Swaddling Safety Tip– Babies need to be able to straighten themselves out naturally and gradually. Parents should allow for room in the swaddle – or sleepsack – for baby to bend at the hips.
Dr. Charles Price, Director of the International Hip Dysplasia Institute, has recorded the following video about Hip Dysplasia and how to swaddle safely.
HALO’s SleepSacks and Swaddles are the only products on the market approved “hip healthy” by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. To celebrate Baby Safety Month, HALO is going to provide one of my readers with a free HALO® SleepSack® Swaddle.
HALO GIVEAWAY DETAILS:
HALO will provide one lucky winner with one HALO SleepSack Swaddle.
- Sleeveless design allows for ventilation and reduces the risk of overheating.
- Approved as “Hip Healthy” by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
- Generous sack design allows room for kicking, but can’t be kicked off so baby stays warm all night.
- Unzips from the bottom allowing baby to stay swaddled for easy diaper changes.
Giveaway Dates: September 22- October 5, 2011 Midnight CST
How to Enter:
Do one or more of the following and post a comment below about each action you took. Each comment will count as a separate entry so your chances of winning increase.
1. Subscribe to Family Focus Blog RSS feed or email in top right hand margin
2. “Like” the HALO Facebook Page
3. Like Family Focus Blog Facebook page in the top right margin
4. Tweet and leave URL:
Enter to #win a @HALOsleepsack #Giveaway to celebrate Baby Safety Month http://familyfocusblog.com @familyfocusblog
GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED! Winner selected through random.org and notified by email- #48,Sara Blose