Some of my fondest memories growing up were during the winter months. My immediate family would travel across state borders to see our extended family. Four generations of women would gather in the kitchen preparing gregarious feasts. It didn’t matter if you were 5 or 98 years old, you had a task in the kitchen. To this day I can still hear the laughter that came from the kitchen. I hope your family enjoys this rustic beef and noodle soup recipe as much as mine does!
When I think of winter months, soup is the first thing that comes to mind. But soups are usually not very filling. At least in my book. It either needs to be accompanied with a salad or hardy loaf of bread. The recipe I’m about to share with you is one of my favorite soup recipes and has been passed down from my great-grandmother to her daughter, to my mother, to myself. This hearty beef and noodle soup recipe is not your typical soup – it will not leave you yearning for a slice of bread!
From my family to yours, here is the perfect hearty soup for a wintery night.
Rustic Beef and Noodle Soup Recipe
Beef and Noodle Soup Ingredients
- 7 beef bone roast or arm roast
- bullion beef cubes
- -chili powder
- celery seed
- workshire sauce
- dried sage
- onion powder
- all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
How To Homemade Rustic Beef and Noodle Soup
- The very first step is to cook your roast (preferably let it roast all day on low but if you are in a rush you can set your crockpot on high and will be cooked within 4-5 hours). Salt and pepper beef roast, add approximately ½ cup of water, and cook on low for the day.
- Once your beef roast has about 30 minutes left to finish start to prepare your dough to make homemade noodles
- Combine 3 cups of flour, 1 tsp of salt, ½ tsp of sage, ½ tsp of celery seed, ½ tsp of onion powder. Taste the flour – if the seasoning is well balanced add 6 slightly beaten eggs
- Knead the noodle dough
- Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes
- After you’ve let the dough rest, roll your dough out and cut into 2 inch noodle strips
- Once your roast is done, remove the fat and shred/cut the beef into bite size pieces
- Remove the broth and place in the stock pot to bring to a low simmer
- Add 6-8 cups of water to your broth
- Add 6-8 bullion beef cubes, several shakes of chili powder (I typically do 4-6 but adjust to your taste), ½ – 1 tsp of celery seed, 1 tsp of workshire sauce, ½ tsp of sage, and salt to taste
- Add your roast to the broth and bring to a boil
- Once the broth and meat is at a gentle boil begin to drop your noodles slowly into the pot
- Once you’ve added all your noodles bring to a full boil, cover and turn off
- Let your soup sit for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Winter is the perfect time to enjoy a homemade soup, especially one this delicious and filling. The homemade noodles and tender beef will fill your tummy to the brim – so don’t worry about making any sides or buying bread for this one. A little goes a long way!
What are your favorite winter recipes? Do you have any family soup recipes you’d like to share with us? Let us know in the comments below.