Erin Dow is a chef with over 14 years of experience. She’s cooked for Anthony Bourdain and now she’s cooking for Guiding Stars. Erin creates original recipes using the Guiding Stars nutrition rating system to help you plan nutritious meals that everyone will enjoy. Today, she is sharing an Indian-inspired dessert that is simple, sweet, and nutritious. Perfect for wowing the guests at your next celebration, this spicy-sweet confection is as lovely as it is flavorful. Look for green cardamom pods at your local Indian grocer.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 696 Grams
Indian Carrot Bar Ingredients
- * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- • 3/4 cup applesauce
- • 1/4 cup almonds
- • 4 pounds carrots, peeled and grated
- • 8 cups skim milk
- • 4 green cardamom pods
- • 6 tablespoons date puree
Carrot Bars Instructions
- Toast almonds over dry heat until fragrant.
- Combine grated carrots, milk, and cardamom pods in a large, heavy bottomed pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until all milk has evaporated, about 40 minutes.
- When liquid has evaporated, add oil and applesauce.
- Fry, stirring constantly, until dark orange, about 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and almonds.
- Cook, stirring,for 2 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.