Summer is the time for travel so here is a fun, DIY travel playset for kids. This makes a great surprise DIY gift for children or a it can be a super fun project to do together with kids. Another great thing about this DIY travel playset is that you can customize it to fit the interests of the child. This super cute DIY travel playset was first shared by Ken Wingard on the Home & Family show which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on the Hallmark Channel. I was given permission to share it with you here.
DIY Travel Playset For Kids Tutorial
This fun DIY travel playset is a great way to upcycle an old suitcase or briefcase into fun travel games.
DIY Travel Playset Materials:
- Old Suitcase or Briefcase
- Masonite (type of hardboard made of pressure-molded wood fibres), plywood, or thick cardboard
- 2 paintable self-adhesive magnetic sheets
- 4 printable magnetic sheets
- Spray paint
- 2 feet decorative chain
- 2 1/8 inch bolts with washers & nuts
- Some small toys such as cars, animals, dolls, or figurines
How To Make a DIY Travel Playset For Kids:
1. Gut suitcase
2. Drill 1/8 inch hole 2 inches down on one of the sides without the handle (on each half of the suitcase)
3. Insert 1/8 inch bolt through hole, and add chain, washer and then nut on each half. This chain can be adjusted to allow the suitcase to stay at a little larger than a 90 degree angle while the child plays.
4. Measure and cut two pieces of masonite to rest on interior suitcase rims.
5. Cut two pieces of magnetic sheets to fit interior back wall of each side of suitcase.
7. Paint background images, such as a sky image, night image, etc. on self-adhesive magnetic sheets.
7. Print out 2 landscape images. Spray mount to each side of masonite boards.
8. Print out figure sheets (i.e. building images, trees, etc) to printable magnetic sheets, and then cut out individual figures (images on our website).
9. Place individual figures onto magnetic background sheet.
10. Add fun figurines and your fun play set is ready for the road!
If I lost you, or you are more visual like me, this clip of the Home and Family show may be of help to you:
I hope you found this DIY travel playset for kids inspirational! What theme will you use for making your own DIY travel play set to bring fun with you on your travels? Who in your life would enjoy this homemade toy? Will you make it as a DIY gift or do it together as a fun craft project?