Summer is upon us and that means the kids will have way more time on their hands than usual. Now, if you are like me, you hope that means they will run wild and free outdoors but if you are like me, you also know that they will want to spend a lot of that time using the Internet. I think the Internet is a fantastic resource for learning and fun but even good things must have limits. That is why I love how easy it is to set parental controls for the Internet using Comcast Xfinity’s xFi.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Comcast. Personal story and thoughts are my own.
Why Set Parental Controls For The Internet?
The Internet is an amazing resource but, in my opinion, adolescent Internet usage does need to be monitored by an adult. It is important to be able to limit how much time the child is spending on the Internet each day so that they don’t get endlessly sucked into the screen. They need to balance screen time with physical activity and keeping up with their commitments like household chores, reading, practicing instruments, or sports, etc. It is also important to be able to set limits on the types of sites kids visit to protect them from age-inappropriate material.
How To Set Parental Controls For The Internet Using xFi
I think just about every parent agrees that we need to set parental controls for the Internet, the challenge is that we don’t all know how to do so easily. That is why I am so excited to introduce you to xFi, an easy-to-use, genius tool to monitor Internet usage, just in time for the summer!
Comcast recently introduced xFi and it is a new way to make the home Wi-Fi experience personalized to your family so you can easily control Internet usage and maximize quality family time. This new feature is available to Comcast Xfinity Internet customers, at no additional cost and it provides an easy to use digital dashboard for your connected home set up around the profiles in your household.
The xFi Digital Dashboard Allows You To:
- Set individual profiles for each child so you can set age appropriate parental controls
- See what devices are connected –and easily add/remove devices (including cell phones, computers, and gaming devices)
- Pause Wi-Fi access during scheduled intervals like dinnertime or bedtime or with a quick tap during a timeout
Want to learn more about how it works? Here is a quick video to show you:
How To Set Parental Controls For The Internet:
xFi allows families to customize their Wi-Fi Internet experience to their specific needs. It is simple to use.
- Go your Xfinity xFi dashboard.
- Add your device to the network.
- The option to personalize the new device will pop up.
- Chose a nickname and a reflective icon for the device.
- Assign new device to an existing profile or chose “create new profile”.
- When creating new profile, you can select parental control menu and then select, “none” or “child”, ( or “teen,” coming soon). Applies to all devices on that profile.
- Next under the profile you can select “bedtime mode” and check weekend nights and/or school nights and set when you want the Internet to turn off or “sleep” and when you want it to turn back on or “wake”.
- Also on each profile, you can pause all devices with one button (for dinner time for example) or individual devices.
That is it! So easy. You can do all this on your computer dashboard or on your phone app (which means you can even change controls while away from home!). It is very intuitive and easy to use- no tutorial needed.
xFi is available to Comcast Internet customers, at no additional cost. If you don’t have Xfinity, you can find out about the Internet coverage area at xfinity.com.
I hope you find this information on why and how to set parental controls for the Internet to be helpful to you. Now that you can manage the brood’s digital activities from anywhere, at any time, what other fun summer activities will you do with your family?