If you are a new parent or have a child that you are still financially supporting, there are a few tax breaks available to help take some of the burden off your tax bill. H&R Block tax professional Kimberly Ardison offers the following tips for taxpayers who are parents:
- The Child Tax Credit: Parents with a child that was 16 or younger in 2012 whom was your legal dependent and lived with you for at least half the year may be eligible for a $1,000 credit. This credit was extended as a result of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012.
- The Child Care Tax Credit: Parents with children under 13 that require child care to enable you to work or actively look for work are eligible to receive a credit for a certain percent of the covered expenses up to $3,000 (for one qualifying individual) or $6,000 (for two or more qualifying individuals).
- The Earned Income Credit: One of the most commonly overlooked credits, EIC is available to parents depending on their filing status, yearly income and amount of children in their household. For example, if you earn less than $36,900 (filing separately) or $42,130 (married filing jointly) and have one qualifying child, you can receive a maximum credit of $3,169.
H&R Block is making it even easier and more convenient for consumers to file their taxes any way, anywhere and anytime with H&R Block At Home.
This tax season, H&R Block has expanded the features of its iPad, Android and iPhone apps, to include the ability to:
- File any federal individual income tax return on-the-go in English or Spanish via iPhone or Android for free through February 15.
- Toggle between devices – begin a return on an iPad and complete the return via PC, or vice versa.
- Have your taxes prepared by an H&R Block tax professional in real time conveniently via video conference or chat using Block Live for iPad.
H&R Block At Home Review:
H&R Block At Home offers several great filing options. From the Free Edition (Best for First Time Tax Filers) to the PREMIUM edition (Best for Self-employed/Rental Property Owners) they offer a professional service that is easy to use and fits your needs. I was given the opportunity to try the H&R Block at Home Premium edition which is perfect for me since I have to report my blogging income.
I have to say that I hate doing taxes. I don’t like finding the records, I feel uneasy about missing something, and I hope I don’t screw up and get audited. Using H&R Block at Home helped make the process much better. Although, they can’t help me find my records, they did help me to get all the tax credits I deserve and they even do an audit checker to see if there are any red flags for audits. H&R Block asks questions that make the filing process much easier and you don’t have to go searching for more schedules and direction sheets. H&R Block At Home helped give me peace of mind instead of the anxiety that I normally feel. They also provide you with a savings sheet at the end so you can see the credits you got and in my case, I am sure I would have missed at least one of them if they hadn’t helped me out by asking the questions.
As far as H&R Block at Home Premium edition ease of use, I am 100% satisfied. Everything was very easy. There was nothing to download which shocked me in a very pleasant way! I just went online and filled out the answers and I was able to save and exit and return the next day. I was able to go back and forward and the whole process was pretty easy to follow. I did have questions twice but not to worry, they had answers! H&R Block provides real-time tax advice through real-time chat with a registered tax professional. Both times, they got me an answer to my question which is a huge help and so much more reliable than doing online search and hoping I found the right answer.
I also love this:
“It’s unlikely you’ll receive an IRS tax audit. But if you do, free audit support and audit representation is part of our guarantee. Our audit support helps you understand why you’re being audited and what kind of response to prepare. If you need representation, we can communicate on your behalf through an audit proceeding.”
I give two thumbs up for H&R Block At Home! Want to try it yourself? Just go to hrblock.com.
H&R Block Giveaway:
One lucky reader will receive one free code to cover a federal and state e-file with H&R Block At Home Premium.
H&R Block Giveaway Dates: March 26- March 28, 2013 Midnight CST
How to Enter: Enter through Giveaway Tools- just sign into the widget and click the entries you want to complete.
Winner announced above in the Giveaway Tools widget on March 29, 2013. Winners will be selected through Giveaway Tools and I will notify by email. Winner must respond within 4 days or the prize will be forfeited. Your email will not be shown and will be kept private.
I did receive a code in the hopes that I would share my honest opinions. I did not receive monetary compensation for this post and opinions expressed are my own.