If you love craft projects, you will love this DIY project for how to make a baby mobile. It is fun, pretty, and easily customizable. Design expert, Paige Hemmis, demonstrated this awesome DIY on Hallmark’s Home & Family show, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. Paige created a DIY butterfly mobile that would make a beautiful addition to any baby nursery. I was given permission to share the directions, photos and video for how to make a baby mobile with you and you can customize the baby mobile to almost any nursery theme.
How To Make A Baby Mobile
This make baby mobile tutorial is demonstrated as a buttery baby mobile but it can easily be customized around any nursery theme but using a different craft punch cutter (stars,elephants, etc).
Butterfly Baby Mobile Materials
• Butterfly punch (large)
• 14” Metal ring (you could also use an embroidery hoop or wreath – anything that is about 14” around)
• 25 yards of tulle ribbon, 5” wide
• White thread
• Sewing needle
• Card stock or scrapbook paper that is double sided – (one side blue and one side pink if you want to recreate her baby gender surprise option)
• Picture hanging wire
Directions For How To Make A Baby Mobile
1. Take your metal ring and your picture hanging wire. Take two wires and attach them to the metal ring. Make a cross with the wires so that you have four quadrants.
2. Take additional wires to secure the middle section. This will give you four separate sections to hang your butterflies from.
3. Wrap your tulle around the metal ring to cover up the metal and make baby mobile pretty.
4. Cut the tulle into smaller pieces and tie them around the metal circle, making it look light and fancy.
5. Take your butterfly punch and cut out butterflies. You will need about 80 – 100 butterflies. You can find a butterfly punch at craft stores or order at amazon. I have included my amazon affiliate link for your convenience below:
6. Take your needle and white thread and double the thread at the bottom. Tie off the thread with a double knot. Make the length at least 15” – 20”.
7. Thread the needle through the middle of the butterfly at the top and the bottom of the butterfly (this will make the butterflies stay up/straight). They will spin, but that’s ok. Thread the first one near the bottom/end of the thread. Add additional butterflies up the thread a few inches apart. You can tie a knot in the thread at the spot you would like each butterfly to hang.
8. Take four pieces of tulle to tie around the base and meet in the top. You can tie a bow at the top if you would like. This will serve as the top of the mobile.
There you have it- a diy butterfly mobile! This is the perfect baby mobile for a boy or a girl! Give the DIY nursery gift this way and then it’s up to Mom and Dad to turn the butterflies to blue or to pink by folding them in half when they find out the gender of the baby. I hope you enjoy this tutorial for how to make a baby mobile. You can also watch the video below to get more details and see the process.
Important Baby Mobile Safety Tip: Remember to hang the mobile high enough so that baby can not touch it even when they learn to stand. See other baby mobile safety tips here.
Do you think you will make a baby mobile? What theme will you choose?