Let’s be honest, a few of us out there daydream about the perfectly decorated home so much we fantasize about living in our well constructed Pinterest board titled “What My House Will Look Like” (yes, that’s the name of mine). Unfortunately, mimicking our Pinterest board ideal of what we want our home to look like tends to come with a hefty price-tag. But don’t worry, we’ve compiled a money saving tips for decorating your home so you can still fulfill your Pinterest dreams! Let’s start decorating on a budget!
7 Money Saving Tips for Decorating your Home
- Do not spend a fortune on artwork: Building an art collection should be looked at like building a quality wardrobe. Splurge on quality, can’t live without, timeless pieces and let the rest of your art collection be affordable pieces that still fit your motif. Utilize Etsy to find great digital prints that you can have printed at your local print store without paying a fortune.
- Secondhand: You’d be surprised by the great affordable finds you can will discover at your local thrift stores and flea markets (and don’t forget about your local Facebook Buy | Sell | Trade pages, VarageSale, and Craiglsit.
- Do it Yourself: I mean, I’m guessing you already enjoy a DIY project from time to time if you’re visiting this blog. You can make some awesome pieces with a little creativity – one of my favorite things to do is to utilize pieces from Ikea and then add the “wow” factor like a block of wood or rod iron.
Photo Credit and DIY Directions: beautifulprotest.squarespace.com
- Versatile Pieces: Try to choose pieces that are functional in a variety of different spaces. Majority of us will not be in the same house or apartment for the rest of our lives – so when buying furniture choose moderately sized pieces that are versatile and you will enjoy from years to come.
- Spray-Paint is your best friend: Even the ugliest thrift store find can be beautiful. All it really takes is a fresh coat of spray-paint to bring it back to life and dress up a space.
- Raid your friend and family’s “junk”: Don’t be scared to visit your grandma’s murky attic or explore your best-friend’s garage for handy items you can use. Things like silverware, old furniture, or even art could make their way into your new home.
- Storage can be the trickiest part: One of the best words of advice I’ve come across when organizing a small space is to tuck away the big items under your bed or in your closet but keep smaller collectibles like jewelry, makeup, and shoes stored out in the open. For more organization tips, check out some of our other blogs: Kids Room Organizational Tips, Organizing your Bathroom, Getting Rid of the Clutter.
Photo Credit and more about a walk-in closet on a budget: stylizimoblog.com
Do you use any of these tips when decorating? What are some of your money saving tips for decorating your home? Admit it, you have a Pinterest board of your dream interior – share it with us in the comments below!