This is a step-by-step recipe for a pesto grilled cheese sandwich. There is also a step-by-step recipe for just the pesto. It is time to upgrade the classic grilled cheese sandwich and what better way than to add fresh, homemade pesto. This “odd” combination is packed with flavor! So put down the yellow squares of cheese and pull out the food processor. After you try this, you will never go back to the classic!
Homemade Pesto Recipe
Ingredients for Pesto:
- 2 cups of Basil
- 1/4 cup of Pine Nuts
- 2 minced cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 cup of Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
Instructions for Pesto:
- You will need a food processor for this recipe.
- Put in 2 cups of basil, 1/4 cup of pine nuts and 2 minced garlic cloves into the food processor. Pulse a few times until everything looks chopped up.
- Next, put in the 1/2 cup of olive oil and mix until consistent.
- Now add in the 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and mix.
- It is that easy, enjoy!
Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Fontina Cheese
- Ricotta Cheese
Instructions for Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- If you have an uncut loaf of bread, go ahead and cut two pieces out for the sandwich. I used pane toscano bread.
- Cut the fontina cheese into two wedge shaped pieces, not too thick but not too thin, and place one wedge on each slice of bread.
- Next spoon out some ricotta cheese and place the majority of it on side of the bread with the thinnest amount of fontina cheese.
- Toast both slices until you can see the fontina cheese has melted. The time will depend on your oven or toaster oven.
- Once both sides are toasted, spread a generous amount of pesto on both sides.
- You are all done and your sandwich is ready to eat, enjoy!
How do you like to make your grilled cheese sandwiches? Do you think you would try out this pesto grilled cheese sandwich recipe? If you do, be sure to let us know how you liked it! You may also like to check out this recipe for a Tomato and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich.