The Dali Lama’s view of life offers great advice year round but I found some really inspirational thought for the new year. I thought I would share with you 10 bits of advice from The Dali Lama that I especially enjoyed and I thought might come in handy when getting ready to start the New Year. You may even find a New Year’s Resolution. Many of the points mentioned seem like instructions for life!
Advice From The Dali Lama For The New Year:
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R’s:
– Respect for self,
– Respect for others and
– Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
6. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
7. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
8. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
9. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
10. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
I know 9 and 10 seem similar but I love it when one good action has more than one good result!
“Whether you call it Buddhism or another religion, self-discipline, that’s important. Self-discipline with awareness of consequences.” -Dalai Lama
Read more Dalai Lama quotes at brainyquote.com
What are your favorite pieces of advice from the Dahli Lama for the new year? Do you plan to make a New Year’s resolution? Do you have an inspirational quote you would like to share to inspire other’s for the New Year?