Today’s post is sponsored by the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association to help spread the word about the importance of fireplace child-proofing and having a fireplace safety screen. A big winter safety issue in many homes with children is fireplace safety. Even one burn is too many. Here are some burn prevention tips to help keep kids safe around the hot glass on gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts.
4 Fireplace Safety Burn Prevention Tips
All of these fireplace safety burn prevention tips work together so make sure you take all four precautions.
1. Be Aware Of Fireplace Danger & Talk To Your Children
It is important the everyone in your household know that the glass and surrounding metal on a gas fireplace, stove and insert gets very hot and can stay hot even after the appliance has been turned off. Make sure that your kids and visiting children know to avoid risk of injury by not going to close or touching the a gas fireplace, stove or insert.
2. Always Consider The Fireplace Glass Potentially Hot
Fireplace glass and metal can take an hour or more to cool down after use. Some appliances turn on and off automatically with a thermostat, so you may not know when the fire turned off. Always assume the fireplace glass is hot and tell children not to touch it even when it is turned off.
3. Supervise Children Near The Fireplace
Another important burn prevention tip is to supervise kids when they want to play in the same room as the fireplace. Injury can happen in an instant, especially with kids and those with special needs so it is important to monitor and supervise.
4. Fireplace Child-Proofing Is Essential: Fireplace Safety Screen or Fireplace Safety Gates
Because kids do not always listen or remember and because accidents happen, fireplace child-proofing is essential. Supervision is important but is no substitute for a physical barrier that can prevent direct contact. All gas-fired, certified fireplaces manufactured after January 1, 2015 will include a safety screen or protective barrier that must be installed. If your product is older than January 1, 2015, aftermarket products for fireplace child-proofing are available. These barriers are useful in order to keep family pets safe as well.
There are three types of barriers:
1. Attachable Fireplace Safety Screen– These should be manufacture approved.
2. Free Standing Fireplace Safety Gates– These can be free standing or installed. The KidCo Custom Fit Auto Close HearthGate, pictured below as the giveaway prize, provides the maximum safety in protecting your toddler from the dangers of fireplaces and free standing stoves. This one-of-a-kind gate system fits a standard 6’ hearth providing protection from the hot surfaces and flames of in-use fireplaces, accessing gas starter keys, sharp edges, hard corners and dirty logs.
3. Free Standing Fireplace Safety Screen– Rigorous testing was conducted to ensure that these fire safety screens are effective in preventing serious, irreversible burns. There are many styles of fireplace safety screen to fit your decorative tastes such as these or these.
This short video full of fireplace burn prevention tips and you can go online to learn more at SafeFireplaceTips.com.
Fireplace Safety Gate Giveaway
One lucky reader will receive one Freestanding Fireplace Safety Gate for fireplace child-proofing and burn prevention. $200 value
Fireplace Safety Screen Giveaway Dates: February 22- March 21, 2016 Midnight CST
How to Enter: Enter through Giveaway Tools- just sign into the widget and click the entries you want to complete (comment, follow, or share).
Winner announced above in the Giveaway Tools widget on March 22, 2015. Winner will be selected through Giveaway Tools and I will notify by email. Winner must respond within 4 days or the prize will be forfeited and alternate winner will be chosen. Your email will not be shown and will be kept private.
I hope you found these fireplace burn prevention tips helpful? Do you have fireplace safety screens or fireplace safety gates?