As we prepare for back to school season, we try to get in as much summer as we can! We plan last minute pool parties and trips to the beach before the hectic school life begins. We make sure to indulge in summertime foods while we can. I just made the most delicious Cumber Watermelon Salad that you just have to try- perfect for the last days of summer. I got the recipe from Kim Severson, of the New York Times and it is both light and flavorful. I first saw this on Pinterest looking for a light meal to have for dinner and to take with me to a pool party this weekend. I am so glad I gave it a try!
Easy Cucumber Watermelon Salad Recipe
Cucumber Watermelon Salad Ingredients:
- 4 cups of watermelon, cut in ½ inch cubes (Kitchn shows you how to cut a watermelon into cubes)
- 3 cups of cucumbers, cut into ½ inch cubes (about 2 large cucumbers)
- 3 ½ Tablespoons of fresh lime juice (I bought the pre-squeezed kind)
- 3 Tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons of seeded and finely diced jalapeno (add more for more spice)
- ½ teaspoon of salt (or more to your taste)
- 1/3 cup of chopped flat- leaf parsley
- Black pepper (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pistachios (optional)
Cucumber Watermelon Salad Recipe Directions:
Cut your watermelon and cucumbers into ½ inch cubes.
Place the cucumber and watermelon into a medium sized bowl with a strainer over it. This allows any of the juice from the watermelon to drip into the bowl.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
When it is done refrigerating, put the cucumbers and watermelon into a serving dish.
In a separate bowl, whisk the: lime juice, hoisin sauce, jalapeno, and salt. Then pour over the cucumber and watermelon. Gently toss the ingredients to spread the dressing around.
Add the parsley and toss gently again. Add the black pepper to taste and salt if needed.
If you would like a crunch in the salad, sprinkle the cucumber watermelon salad with pistachios. (I don’t like nuts, so I didn’t add any.)
This cucumber watermelon salad recipe is so light and delicious you will go back for seconds! The best part about it is that both watermelon and cucumbers are nutritious. Now that you know a great summer time salad that is both easy and delicious, will you make some for yourself or your family?