If you are someone who likes to prepare their meals for the week this is a great recipe for you! There is no stove top cooking involved and it is easy to make even for the novice chef. For anyone vegan or vegetarian this a flavorful recipe full of protein and will keep you full. I discovered this recipe from Penzeys Spices and over the years have tweaked it. I added garbanzo beans, more garlic, sweet onion and cilantro from my own plant.
Vegan Pepper and Bean Salad Recipe
Vegan Pepper and Bean Salad Ingredients
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans
- 1 15 ounce can of kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce can of pinto beans
- 1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans
- 2 cups of fresh corn
- 1 red or sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 limes
Instructions for the Vegan Pepper and Bean Salad
- Rinse and drain the black, kidney, pinto and garbanzo beans and toss them in a large bowl.
- Cut 2 cups of corn off of the cob. I used 3 cobs. Add this to the bowl and toss.
- Chop 1 sweet or red onion and add it to the bowl and toss. I used 1 large sweet onion.
- Chop 3 cloves of garlic and add to the bowl and toss.
- Seed and chop the red and green bell pepper. Add them to the bowl and toss.
- Seed and chop 2 jalapeno peppers. Add them to the bowl and toss.
Caution! If you have never seeded and chopped a jalapeno follow these directions:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a bandana. The fumes of the jalapeno can be very irritating.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers then cut them in half down the center.
- Take them over to the sink, seed them and rinse.
- After they have been seeded chop them and add them to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the canola oil and red wine vinegar together.
- Add the ground cumin, pepper and ground salt.
- Juice 2 limes into the bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup or 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and mix together. I used fresh cilantro from my own plant!
- Pour this dressing into the salad bowl and toss.
Let the Dressing and Vegan Pepper and Bean Salad marinate for a couple hours before eating and keep this salad in the fridge. Enjoy!
Would you make this? Would you add anything to it? If you would add to it, what would you add?