This is a step-by-step tutorial for DIY gold leaf ornaments! These make a great statement, whether you place them in a bowl for the dinning room table or hang them on this years tree. As if your tree and home isn’t shiny and sparkly enough; these ornaments are classic yet modern. Let your creative flag fly by switching up the colors. Try blues, silvers, greens and whites! Since this project is not a quick one why not bring the kids to the table and let the whole family make one!
How To Make DIY Gold Leaf Ornaments:
- Glass ornaments
- Acrylic paint
- Gold leaf
- Clear nail polish
- Workable fixatif
- Foam brush
- Start off by taking the tops off of the ornaments. This will ensure that it stays paint free.
- Next, using a brush paint the outside of the ornament. I chose red acrylic paint.
- Let that dry.
- Once, it is dry grab either a gold or silver acrylic paint and a foam brush. I chose gold.
- Brush the gold onto the ornament. You do not want this to be a thick layer so spread this paint so it looks sheer.
- Let this dry. Once it is dry you can put the top back on the ornament.
- Now it is time for the gold leaf!
- In order to put the gold leaf onto the ornament we need to use an adhesive. I personally use clear nail polish because glue tends to dry with a slight cloudy finish.
- Apply the nail polish to the top part or the entire ornament and apply the gold leaf. Use your finger tips to tap the gold leaf. This can be a very messy step.
- Finally spray the ornaments with workable fixatif. This will keep the gold leaf from flaking off. Enjoy!
How do you like to decorate for the holiday? Would you try this DIY gold leaf ornament tutorial this holiday season? If you do, be sure to share your creations with us @familyfocusblog!