With gluten sensitivities plaguing many of our friends and family members these days, you might find yourself cooking for those with high gluten intolerance this holiday season. Thankfully, there are a multitude of gluten-free recipes out there for pretty much anything you want to make if you know where to look. If you’re looking for an artisan flatbread recipe, look no further! This easy gluten-free flatbread recipe is savory, cheesy, overall delicious, and very versatile! Even those not adhering to a gluten-free diet will love this artisan flat bread.
The Best Gluten Free Flatbread!
Not only does this recipe make a delectable artisan flatbread to enjoy on its own, it also works wonderfully as pizza crust, breakfast sandwich bread, or for bruschetta. My mom tried this gluten-free flatbread recipe out and told me that this gluten-free bread was the perfect style for dipping in her chili and pairing with spaghetti!
I think this is the best gluten free flatbread that I have tried both for flavor and nutrition. While most gluten-free recipes substitute gluten-free flour for normal bread flour, this recipe doesn’t use any flour at all. Instead it calls for only almond meal, or “almond flour”, which is still just ground up almonds and in no way actual flour. This way, the bread has way less carbs and way more protein than the norm. It requires just a few simple ingredients and it is healthy and scrumptious. You don’t even need a rolling pin as you will just use your hands for the best results!
Gluten-Free Flatbread Recipe
Serving size – 24 pieces
Flour-less Artisan Flatbread Ingredients:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup almond meal/flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- one cup Italian blend cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp herbs and seasonings of your choice
For seasonings, we used:
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- A pinch onion powder
- A dash of black pepper and sea salt
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
How To Make Gluten Free Italian Flatbread:
- Place the cream cheese, eggs, Parmesan, almond meal, baking powder, and garlic in your food processor and process until the contents are smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Add your seasonings, stir the batter again.
- Then, add the shredded cheese. Pulse to mix it in.
- Line an 11 x 17 baking pan with parchment paper and spoon the batter into the pan as evenly as possible.
- Cover the soft dough with plastic wrap and press it into an even layer using with your fingers. Then remove plastic wrap.
- Put in the preheated oven to bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and while it’s hot, brush the top with olive oil.
- Remove flatbread from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Cut into equal pieces, serve, and enjoy!
You can use a large bowl and hand mix if you don’t have a food processor or stand mixer.
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
The original recipe is Sherrielee’s Artisan Flat Bread, and instead of 1 ¼ cup almond meal, it uses only a ½ cup almond meal and supplements it with ¾ cup bake mix. Since we were fresh out of bake mix, we food-processed almonds to make our almond meal, and replaced the measure of bake mix with simply more almond meal, and it worked really well! Who knew gluten-free baking could be so easy?
Printable Recipe For Gluten Free Artisan Flatbread
This gluten-free flatbread recipe has a lovely crunch, and will suit those of you who like thin-crust pizza and a nice crisp bread. It freezes well, so making this ahead of time will set your mind at ease when it comes to dinner planning for gluten-intolerant guests! Have you tried baking any gluten-free recipes yet? I hope you enjoy this delicious flatbread!