One of many of my favorite things about Christmas is the wreath on the front door. When it is cold and grey, the evergreen and decorative wreaths at home front doors are a cheering sight. It always makes me think of the individual scenes taking place inside, of families warming up over a mug of spiced cider and children with red cheeks from the cold. Wreaths are also surprisingly easy to make, so if you would like to save a little money this year, or are looking for a way to keep the children entertained (under supervision of course!) you might want to give a try to making your own Christmas Wreath. Here is a tutorial for how to make a Christmas wreath and how to decorate a Christmas wreath to your style!
DIY Christmas Wreath Tutorial – Holiday Craft Project:
Materials needed for making a Christmas wreath-
Strips of hazel wood or an old coat hanger
A bagful of ivy
Several sprigs of holly
Other greenery, such as bay and pine
Raffia or ribbon – 2-4 meters
- Pine cones
- More ribbon
- Your imagination!
How to Decorate a Christmas Wreath Step By Step Instructions-
1. Whether you have strips of hazel available will depend on what is available in your garden, the local park or garden center. If you use this method you will need to twist multiple strips around each other until you have a sturdy frame.
2. On the other hand, an old coat hanger works just as well. Simply untwist it using pliers and reshape it into a circle.
3. Whichever method you choose, ivy will form the main ingredient in the wreath so make sure you have plenty! We need to twist this round and round the frame until it is suitably thick. It’s recommended to wear gardening gloves for this how to make a Christmas wreath tutorial.
4. After the ivy is the holly (that phrasing reminds me of a Christmas carol itself!). Weave this in and out of the ivy until the wreath starts looking really festive. If you weren’t wearing the gardening gloves for the ivy, you will want to for the prickly holly leaves! If you have any other greenery, like small pine branches, add this in now.
5. We need to make sure the wreath is easy to attach to the front door. If you have a hook on your door you will just need to take the raffia or ribbon (depending on what look you are after) and tie this around the wreath, forming a loop at the top. If you do not have a hook on the front, tie the ribbon around the wreath in the same way but leave an excess of about 2 meters (depending on the height of your door). This extra length can go over the top of the door to be affixed on the inside. If you have a letter flap on the door, you can tie the ribbon through this.
6. Now for the fun bit – Christmas wreath decorations! This is where you can really let your creativity shine through. Here is how to decorate a Christmas wreath- just string your wreath decorations on ribbon and raffia and tie them on. I have included a few unique Christmas wreath ideas to get you started below but there is no limit to your creativity.
Unique Christmas Wreath Ideas:
Traditional Victorian wreath: add pine cones, apples, and red ribbons woven through the foliage.
The Midas touch: similar to above but with gold decoration. You can spray paint some of the holly leaves and recycle old Christmas tree baubles.
Handmade favorites: Add popcorn on string, concertina paper dolls and small pieces of ribbon tied into bows.
Cinnamon & Citrus: Use dried orange slices and cinnamon sticks to create an aromatic wreath!
Berry & Cardinal wreath: Like this one by Messy Little Monster
Rustic wreath: Like this one by Mad IN Crafts.
Snow Village Wreath: Like this one on the Hallmark Channel.
You can also have a look in your local florists and craft shop to find other ideas and inspiration for decorations.
Hopefully you’ll agree that this simple wreath looks great and is a fantastic alternative to buying one. After all, you have the satisfaction of having made it yourself and it is such a fun family activity to work on together! Do you think you will give this tutorial for how to make a Christmas wreath a try? How will you decorate your Christmas wreath?
How To Decorate A Rustic Christmas Tree
DIY Metal Washers Christmas Wreath Ornament
GREAT tutorial for making a Christmas wreath!!
Just wish to say your article on how to make a Christmas wreath is as astounding.
Thanks one million and please keep up the enjoyable work.
I really like looking through an article that gives me step by step craft instructions. This will be a fun diy Christmas project. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!
What’s up Dear? I love this Chirstmas wreath diy project. I will absolutely get good experience trying to make it.