Want to see one of the most famous Broadway productions without going to New York? Well, now you can- The Phantom of the Opera on tour! Cameron Mackintosh’s spectacular new production is now on tour across North America and I just had the pleasure of seeing it here in Nashville at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC) (catch a show before November 4th!) I brought my 11 year old son as my date and I really think that shows like this are so good for children as they get to develop an appreciation for the arts, how much work goes into perfecting them, and what beauty is possible to achieve.
The Phantom of the Opera Broadway At TPAC
I absolutely loved The Phantom of the Opera Broadway At TPAC. It really was amazing- the detailed costumes, the amazing voices, the orchestra, the acting. It was a very special experience and really fun to be able to share with my son. I actually knew the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack but I had not seen the show! My son had seen parts of it in his music class and he summed it up for me like this- “The Phantom wants to be good but he’s just not.” It is exactly this pull between good and evil that makes the show so riveting to watch, well that and the amazing performances with the stellar song, music, and dance!
This Cameron Mackintosh production of the The Phantom of the Opera features exciting special effects a cast and orchestra of 52. This Phantom of the Opera is one of the largest productions now on tour and it really is stunning. Days later, I am still singing songs like “Music of the Night,” “All I Ask Of You,” and “Masquerade”.
You can find about The Phantom of the Opera On Tour at thephantomoftheopera.com/
Here is a trailer that catches a little of the magic:
The Phantom of the Opera Facts
- There are currently seven productions of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA around the world: the flagship London production (30 Years and counting), New York (29 Years and counting), Sapporo (Japan, 28 Years and counting, in repertory), Budapest (Hungary, in repertory), Hamburg (Germany), Prague (Czech Republic), Stockholm (Sweden) and Cameron Mackintosh’s spectacular new production, now in its fourth year on North American Tour.
- Total Broadway attendance is now over 17 million and it continues to play with no end in sight.
- The show has won more than 70 major theater awards, including seven 1988 Tony Awards
(including Best Musical) and three Olivier Awards in the West End.
Fun Facts About Cameron Mackintosh’s Spectacular Production Of Phantom Of The Opera
- 75 local stagehands are hired in every market to load the production into the theatre
- 20 trucks are used to move the production from city to city (16 trucks in the building, 4 more
trucks for the jump/advance)
- Over 1,200 costume pieces used during the show.
- Each ballet girl goes through a pair of ballet shoes every 2-3 weeks.
- Over 85 moving lights in the design that utilizes 4 different kinds of haze/smoke effects.
- Over 6,000 beads are on the chandelier
- The main scenic wall weighs 10 tons and rotates around the stage
- 17 orchestra members plus conductor perform Andrew Lloyd Webber’s magnificent score every performance
Have you seen the Phantom of The Opera? How many times?