I am a huge believer in green living which is basically the idea of making green choices on an everyday basis. I still love Earth Day though and it is a great time to celebrate beautiful nature and the incredible environment by doing fun Earth Day projects and renewing our focus and commitments to be a little greener each day. On that note I want to share five easy tip for how to be more green every day. If you already do any of them, try to take them to the next level and do them even better! This blog post is in collaboration with iHerb to share ideas on how to be more green but all opinions expressed are my own.
5 Easy Tips on How to Be More Green
1. Reusable Bags This is such an easy and impactful way to reduce your waste. Store your reusable bags in your trunk (or your bike basket) so your don’t forget them.
2. Recycle. Recycling is such a simple and easy way to go green and make a huge impact. Recycling helps reduce waste in landfills and uses less virgin materials and energy than creating brand new products. According to Columbia University, “Americans discard about 33.6 million tons of plastic each year, but only 6.5 percent of it is recycled…The best solutions for our plastic problem are still to reduce our use of plastics, and to reuse and recycle whenever possible.” As you can see, there is plenty of opportunity to do better and recycle more.
3. Reuse. Before you toss it, can you reuse it? There are so many fun upcycle projects that can turn your trash into treasures. If you can’t reuse it, can someone else? Making a trip to Goodwill is sometimes the perfect answer for those toys and clothes that have been outgrown. Likewise, you can find many items at thrift stores that you can reuse instead of purchasing new ones.
4. Use Less Packaging. Try to use less disposable bags and more reusable containers. Try to buy use less plastic wrap, foil, and tissue paper on each project. When you purchase products, try to buy in bulk so that you there is less packaging waste. Try to buy things that won’t harm the earth and are made with less or packaging that is biodegradable and made from recycled materials.
5. Chose Organic & Rainforest Alliance Certified, and Fair Trade Products When Possible. Voting with your wallet is one surprisingly impactful way of going green. Companies make more organic, Rainforest Alliance Certified, and Fair Trade products when you support them. Organic products help eliminate soil and water contamination and preserve local biodiversity.
An Earth-Friendly Product Haul In Honor of Earth Day (And why not make every day Earth Day?):
Ok, so you want to make more earth-friendly choices but you are not sure what to get or where to buy it? Well, here is an earth-friendly product haul to get you started. This list is just a teaser into the world of amazing eco friendly products and yes, eco-friendly products can smell better and work better than conventional products so set your mind at ease.
You know what else? They don’t have to cost an arm and a leg either. iHerb provided me with the opportunity to do a little earth friendly shopping spree so that I could share some of my favorite products with you. Here are the products I chose and all for less than $75!
As a side note, I had no idea how many earth friendly, eco-friendly, biodegrable, organic, and made from recycled materials products iHerb carried until I was trying to narrow down my shopping list. They have so many great green products and at really reasonable prices. You can check out the full selection for yourself and get the “world’s best value for natural products” at iHerb.
I narrowed down my iHerb earth friendly products into three categories of items I needed- food, home products, and beauty products. Before this, I thought iHerb only had supplements- boy was I wrong. iHerb actually sells over 35,000 products and ships to over 160 countries! iHerb is a Google Trusted Store and their Customer Service team provides support in 10 different languages. I also love iHerb’s eco-friendly initiatives which include a commitment promote recycling and limit waste throughout the company and all of their UPS shipments are Carbon Neutral. I hope you are as excited as I am to discover another great place to purchase earth friendly products!
iHerb Special Offer:
New Customers will get $5 off Their First Order. (Discount automatically shows up in your shopping cart when you use that link.)
15 Earth Friendly Products You Will Love:
Here is my earth-friendly product haul with a little about why I like these products.
Healthy Home Products that are Biodegradable:
Ecover, Liquid Dish Soap, Lime Zest, 25 fl oz, $4.03
Ecover, Natural Automatic Dishwasher Tablets, Citrus Scent, 25 Tablets, 17.6 oz, $5.38
Ecover, Toilet Cleaner, Pine Fresh, 25 fl oz, $3.22
I love Ecover products because they use plant-based ingredients and biodegradable formulas. Their products are safe for use around my kids, my pets, and myself!
Method, 8X Laundry Detergent, Lavender Cedar, 20 fl oz, $16.04
Method, Hand Wash, Pink Grapefruit, 12 fl oz, $3.43
I was excited to try the Method Laundry Detergent because it is ultra-concentrated and a biodegradable, 95% plant-based formula that targets dirt and stains in any water temperature, including cold. Ultra-concentrated is great for saving resources on shipping and transport. I also like that Method offers refills to save on packaging. The Method hand wash is also biodegradable.
Twist, Naked Sponge #55, 2 Sponges, $2.75
A no-brainer- no dyes and 100% biodegradable cellulose.
Earthworm, Family-Safe Drain Cleaner, Fresh Citrus & Sage Fragrance, 32 fl oz, $4.51
So excited to try this natural solution to slow drains. The natural enzyme-based, biodegradable formula removes build-up and keeps your drains free of stinky gunk.
GrabGreen, Garbage Disposal Freshener & Cleaner, Red Pear with Magnolia, 12 Pods, $3.88
This great naturally derived formula is free of phosphates and has no chlorine or dyes. It works to clean and remove greasy stuff from your garbage disposal, remove odors, and prevent clogs.
Bath and Beauty Products that are Biodegradable
Avalon Organics, Thickening Shampoo, Biotin B-Complex Therapy, 14 fl oz, $7.92
Avalon Organics, Thickening Conditioner, Biotin B-Complex Therapy, 14 oz,$7.92
I love this brand. Avalon Organics is NSF Certified Organic and contains No-GMO’s. They are vegan and biodegradable plus they are full of nutrients for your skin and hair.
Maxim Hygiene Products, Organic Cotton Rounds, 80 Count, $2.84
I am excited to try a new brand and a new organic product. I love that these are organic since I will be using them to rub on my skin!
Sierra Bees, Organic Lip Balms, Variety Pack, 8 Pack, $3.95
What an amazing deal for organic lip balms! Plus, the brand has my daughter’s name it (Sierra) so I had to give it a try.
Aroma Naturals, Extraordinary Natural Castile 4-in-1 Soap, Lavender Passion Flower, $5.24
I love Castile Soap because it is biodegradable and I love that this Aroma Naturals soap has other great moisturizing oils in it so that it is moisturizing and smells great. I use it as a soap and as a shaving cream.
Food & Tea Products That Are Organic, Fair Trade, and/or have Eco-Friendly Packaging:
St. Dalfour, Organic, Black Cherry Tea, 25 Tea Bags, 1.75 oz, $2.79
I love St. Dalfour products. They are always such high quality. Naturally I was delighted to try their organic tea. Delish!
Nutiva, Organic Hazelnut Spread, Dark, Trial Size, $1.49
Ok. So I was running out of money for my shopping spree after selecting so many fabulous earth friendly products already but I squeezed in one last one because I love the Nutiva brand and their organic food products. I also love that iHerb offers some great specials on trial sized products so you can try new brands for super great deals. It was 90 cents off the day I ordered.
Now it is your turn to find the “world’s best value for natural products” at iHerb.
New Customers will get $5 off Their First Order. (Discount automatically shows up in your shopping cart when you use that link.) What are some of your favorite earth friendly products from iHerb?