Here is a step-by-step tutorial for making DIY decorative glass bottles. I personally chose to decorate bottles of alcohol but feel free to use these techniques on any type of glass bottle. Since gifting alcohol is so common, why not make more exciting? Decorate a bottle of your best friend’s favorite wine or champagne with their favorite colors. Not only do these DIY glitter bottles look fun but they are a great memory to keep even after the bottle is empty! This is an easy, inexpensive and fun glass bottle craft idea. Here is how to make a glitter bottle pretty enough to use as decor.
DIY Glitter Bottles Tutorial
- Glass Bottles
- Elmer’s glue
- Glue gun
- Clear Fixing spray paint
How do you decorate glass bottles?
If you are giving a glass bottle as a gift and you are looking for a fun way to make it pop, one of the best ways to decorate a glass bottle is to add glitter. Adding glitter is fun everyone enjoys a little bling-bling. Some sparkle and shine make everything better! It also just a great way to personalize the gift by using their favorite colors and making it something cute that they will want to display as decor.
How do you get glitter to stick to a glass bottle?
You get glitter to stick to by a glass bottle through a two step process. First you will use glue as your base layer for the glitter to stick to. Then you will use a clear glaze fixing spray to seal the glitter onto the glass bottle. Use the detailed instructions below.
How To Make Glitter Bottles:
- First, you want to start by choosing the glitter color. I chose colors that were already apart of the “theme” on the bottles. But don’t be afraid to get creative!
- Make sure your workspace is covered in newspaper to protect the work area. This will keep glue from getting on the table as well as make recollecting your excess glitter easier.
- Next, cover the areas around the labels with the elmer’s glue. I find the easiest way to do that is use a foam paint brush to paint the glue on half the bottle. Then pour the glitter on top of the wet glue. Lightly pat the glitter down then shake it off. This way you get a thicker application of glitter. You can collect the excess glitter to use again. Repeat this process with the other half of the bottle.
- If you want to decorate your glass bottles with glitter only, you can skip to step six. If you want to add rhinestones to decorate the labels, go ahead and chose your rhinestone size and color. Again, I chose colors that went along with the “theme” of the bottle itself.
- Use the glue gun to fix the rhinestones where you like them around the label. I outlined the labels using different sized and colored rhinestones.
- To set the glitter, spray a fixing spray paint on top. This will help the glitter stay on the bottle and not stick to everything. I used Krylon High Gloss Triple Thick Clear Glaze Aerosol Spray for this purpose.
- Allow to dry fully and then it will be ready to gift.
You have just turned a plain bottle into a fun DIY gift that will also function as fun decor. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make a glitter bottle. Have you ever decorated glass bottles before? Would you make these DIY decorative glass bottles for yourself or friends? They make great DIY gifts and you could do it with items like wine bottles or olive oil bottles as well. If make your own DIY glass bottle decor, share your creation with us in the comments or tweet us a picture at @familyfocusblog!