Here is an in-depth, step-by-step tutorial for a DIY Halloween Village Graveyard Scene! Fall and winter are probably the most exciting times of the year for interior and exterior decorating. Putting out model towns always seem to be so popular with village collectors! For the last 20 years there has even been a Lemax Spooky Town Collection. So why not grab the family and make your very own town or scene? Scenes like this one here are quite easy to make and come out looking so realistic!
DIY Halloween Town Graveyard Scene Tutorial
- Foam board
- Moss (sheet)
- Moss (loose)
- Small flower pot
- LED branches
- Flower/plant tape
- Air dry molding foam
- Acrylic paints
- Small plastic skulls
- Paper clips
How To Make A Halloween Village Graveyard Scene For Your Spooky Model Town:
- First we will start off by creating the tree. Take the flower pot and slightly widen the hole; I used a screw driver and tapped the sides.
- Make this hole wide enough so you can fit the LED branches through. I suggest doing this one branch at a time.
3. Once both branches are through wrap the ends to one another using the green flower/plant tape.
4. Figure out where on the foam board you want your tree. Once you know, place the flower pot and using a marking utensil trace the outside of the pot.
5. Cut this hole out of the foam board and wedge the flower pot into the hole. Make sure the pot fits snug into the foam board; do not make the hole too big.
6. Now we can start building and shaping the tree. Get out the molding foam and start building the trunk and roots of the tree. Do not worry if the surface is a little lumpy, we want this to look realistic.
7. Once you have the shape of your tree done and the molding foam is dry it is time to paint!
8. For this step I used four different colored paints. Start by painting the entire tree your lightest shade of brown. You may want to add two layers of this color. Then add your second darkest shade of brown. Remember to let the lightest brown be your highlight so leave those areas that would get THE most sun/light just the first color.
9. Start to show depth with the third color which will be your darkest brown. Your final color is black. Concentrate this at the bottom edges of the tree and it any areas that you want to sink in. Let this all dry.
10. Get out the sheet of moss and cut it into the shape and size of the foam board. Now, you did put a hole in the foam board for the tree so carefully remove the tree and be sure to put a hole the same size and shape in the moss sheet.
11. Glue the moss sheet down and put your tree back into the hole. At this point your scene should start coming alive!
12. Using the molding foam, create tombstone shapes, let dry and then paint using grey and black paint. Once they are dry you can use a sharpie and write RIP and other names and dates on them.
13.To get these guys to stick into the ground I suggest using a stretched out paper clip. Stick the paper clip where you want the tomb stone to be and then stick the tomb stone down on to the paper clip.
14. Add the fence, some loose moss and of course the small skulls to finish off the scene! Enjoy!
Have you ever created your own holiday model town or village scene? Would you try this DIY Halloween Village Graveyard Scene? If you do make your own Halloween decorations, be sure to share your creation with us and tag @familyfocusblog!