This is a step-by-step DIY origami crane decorations tutorial. This is an inexpensive way to add color and decoration to your walls. Try this tutorial whether you are looking to spice up your living room or add a delicate touch to a nursery! If you are looking for something to put on a wall or hang from the ceiling, there are two paper crane decor ideas below. These paper crafts are really fun for kids’ rooms and can be altered to color coordinate with the rest of the room decor. Have fun and enjoy!
2 Fun Origami Crane Decoration Ideas
Paper cranes are fun to make and probably the best know form of origami- the Japanese art of folding paper into a myriad of things. According to Alex + Ani, “The crane has always been a strong symbol of success and good fortune in Japanese culture, and when folded into origami, it is believed that your heart’s desire will come true.” Whether you enjoy the symbolism of paper cranes or you just enjoy the way they capture the imagination and fascination of children, origami crane decorations are fun ways to put the paper cranes to use.
DIY Origami Paper Crane Decor for the Wall
What you will need for these origami projects:
- Origami sheets of paper (5 7/8 in x 5 7/8 in)
- Branch from tree
- Glue gun
- Spray paint (optional)
How To Make Origami Crane Decor for the Wall:
- First, find a branch. The more smaller branches it has the more cranes you can put on it.
- Optional, spray paint the branch a different color.
- Next, get your origami paper out and make some cranes! I chose to do a warm color ombre effect, but you can choose whatever colors you please.
- Get your glue gun ready and glue the cranes to the branch!
- Lastly, hang it on the wall and enjoy!
If you do not know how to fold origami cranes here is a great step-by-step tutorial with free origami instructions!
Hanging Origami Crane Decorations
A word on the paper:
Technically, you can make your own origami paper using gift wrap, scrapbook papers, or plain paper and cutting pieces of paper into the dimensions I specified above. However, I don’t recommend it as origami paper is the perfect weight and the precision of the edges will help you get your folds just right. Plus origami creations are often complimented by the beautiful patterns they have on the square sheet of paper.
Paper Crane Hanging Decoration Instructions:
- Grab 4 to 5 sheets of origami paper and make the cranes. See the link above if you need a tutorial for making the cranes.
- Next, use string and string it through the center of the crane. I suggest using embroidery thread and a large needle to make this easier. You can pass the same thread through multiple cranes for a stacked look.
- Secure them on the string by tying a knot at the bottom of it.
- Optional, add a small bead or jewel at the very bottom of the last crane.
- Now, hang! I personally like mine hanging off of my fan, but you could easily turn this into a mobile for a crib. These origami hanging decorations also work great to decorate a window frame.
These great decorations are a wonderful activity to do alone or with your child. They a creative way to enjoy quality time together practicing an art form. Do you enjoy making your own origami decorations? Which of these you origami crane decoration ideas do you like most? Which DIY origami crane decor idea will try first?