It is finally my favorite time of year again…Halloween! I am very excited to share this step-by-step tutorial for DIY ram horns. This year I am planning on being my zodiac sign with an Aries costume. Whether or not you are going as a ram or an Aries for Halloween you can still use these cosplay horns tutorial for other horned creatures such as Maleficent or a minotaur! This is a time consuming project that requires patience and a lot of dry time so start this diy ram horns project as soon as possible.
Aries Costume Ram Horns Tutorial
This rams horn tutorial will show you how to make horns out of aluminum foil as the first step and then the whole thing in gauze and plaster.
DIY Ram Horn Supplies:
- Plastic bags (ones you get from the grocery store)
- Aluminum/tin foil
- Masking tape
- Gauze and plaster
- Spray paint
- Nail varnish
- Foam head optional
How To Make Ram Horns (With Step by Step Photos)
This whole process starts with shaping your horns. This craft tutorial would work just as well for a cow horn, goat horns or even devil horns. What makes rams horns unique is their thick base and curled shape.
Shape Your Horns
Step 1. First thing is first, figure out the shape you are going for. I used a foam head to measure the proportions and size of my horns. Start by lightly balling up a couple of plastic bags and using masking tape to secure its shape.
2. Now to get more mass and length use the foil and masking tape to create a general shape and structure. It will be much easier and lighter if you form the majority of the mass using the bags, foil and tape. I chose to use foil because of its inconsistent texture when its molded. If you want something smooth I would cover the “skeleton” of the horns in a layer or two of masking tape.
3. Now for the messy part. After you are 100% happy with the size and proportion of your DIY ram horns, it is time to gauze and plaster. I love how convenient this stuff is. Cut of strips, soak them in water for a couple of seconds and lay them on your horns!
4. Do this process until you are satisfied with the texture, stability and over all look. I cut small strips to form circles as decoration. This is completely optional.
Attach DIY Horns To Headband
5. This is the tricky part. Get that headband out and plaster it to the horns. I did not trust using a glue gun for this because of the how far my horns stretch from my head. So you are going to want to plaster the headband to the horns and do one at a time. Do not be afraid to layer it up and go in different directions with the strips. This will secure these bad boys and they won’t be going anywhere!
6. Dry time!
Paint DIY Horns
7. Once the plaster is completely dry give your horns and headband two layers of spray paint. Use any color you want; I chose a classic gold for mine.
8. More dry time!
Embellish Homemade Horns
9. If you decided to add the circles then it is time for the nail varnish. I used three shades of red. The lightest goes all over then the darker colors around the edges. This will give these “holes” dimension. I wanted each small hole to look like a ruby gem stone.
10. Lastly, just give the entire thing a coat of clear glossy protectant spray. This is essential. It will keep it weather proof and it will make the piece stand out!
I really hope everyone enjoys this tutorial for how to make ram horns for an Aries costume. As always if you decide to tackle this DIY project, please share your beautiful creations with us! Have fun and stay safe this Halloween! What Halloween costume would you use these ram horns for?