Live Well Network is airing a Holiday Challenge and I got them to share a delicious holiday recipe with us for gingerbread sandwich cookies. Yum! Makes my mouth water just thinking about the gingerbread spice and the sweet cream cheese frosting sandwiched in the middle!
Gran Keer’s Uber Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies Recipe:
Servings: 3 dozen gingerbread sandwich cookies
Time: Prep time 20 minutes, Total time 40 minutes
Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies Ingredients:
For gingerbread cookie:
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of each allspice, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg
- 4.5 cups AP flour
For cream cheese filling:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
How To Make Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl beat sugar, molasses, eggs and butter at low speed.
- Add the spices and baking soda to 3 cups of flour until mixed.
- Scrape with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon stir in 4.5 cups of flour to make stiff dough.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out the men or your choice of shape and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Bake until the edges are firm.
- Loosen cookies and remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Blend together all cream cheese filling ingredients.
- Spread the cream cheese filling onto the gingerbread cookies when they are completely cooled.
- Sandwich and enjoy!
You will need cookie cutter or biscuit cutters depending on what shape you like best. Round cookies are easy to eat and cook evenly. But holiday shapes like gingerbread men or Christmas trees can be a lot of fun as well.
Feel free to sprinkle extra flour if they are sticking when you go to roll them out.
Thanks again to Dana Prophet and the Live Well Network for sharing this yummy gingerbread sandwich cookies recipe with us!
Want more delicious cookie recipes? “Food Rush Holiday Challenge: Cookies” runs November 26 (8:30 pm ET/PT) on the Live Well Network and will air multiple times on Live Well this holiday season for anyone that missed the premiere week of the challenges.
Printable Recipe For Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
These gingerbread sandwich cookies make very nice DIY gifts and are perfect for parties where they will get eaten up quickly!