If you are like me, you probably aren’t really into those mouth rinses at the store that completely burn the inside of your mouth! My eyes use to water and my throat would sting afterwards. Not cool! That’s because of the high amount of alcohol in most of those commercial mouthwashes but what is just as bad is that those artificial colors are totally not good for your health. Why does mouthwash need to be blue or green anyways? I have a completely alcohol free/dye free homemade natural mouthwash recipe to share with you. This DIY mouthwash is safe and clean. The ingredients are very simple and the taste is actually really great thanks to the lemon and peppermint essential oils! This DIY mouth rinse doesn’t burn at all and it leaves you with a fresh clean, feeling.
DIY Natural Mouthwash Tutorial
Ingredients And Supplies Needed for Homemade Mouthwash:
- 8oz Medical Grade Plastic Bottle or Glass Bottle (a glass jar such as a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid would work just fine too)
- Distilled Water
- Young Living Lemon, Peppermint, Clove, and Cinnamon Essential Oils (I specify Young Living Essential Oils because those are the only ones I trust when it comes to the possibility of accidentally ingesting any of the essential oil.)
- Stevia (optional natural sweetener)
- baking soda (optional)
Are you ready to make your own mouthwash? It is a great way help prevent bad breath, gum disease, and tooth decay (in addition to going to the dentist and brushing your teeth). This DIY mouthwash is super easy to make with just a few natural ingredients.
How To Make All Natural Mouthwash Recipe:
Gather your supplies and head to the kitchen or bathroom counter.
Start with your bottle and water. Measure out 7 ounces of distilled water and pour into bottle.
After the water is added, grab your essential oils. You are going to add 5 drops of Lemon essential oil, 5 drops of Peppermint Oil, 5 drops of Cinnamon essential oil, and 5 drops of Clove Oil. These essential oils have antibacterial and antiviral properties that will clean your mouth for fresh breath and good oral hygiene.
- Add a 5 drops of Stevia to sweeten the mouth rinse if it’s a little too strong for your liking.
- Add 1 Tbsp baking soda. This is a popular ingredient in oral care products. The Journal of American Dental Association says, “Baking soda has been shown to be efficacious in reducing the acidity of plaque fluid. Therefore, its impact on oral remineralization and demineralization is significant.”
Screw the top back on your plastic bottle, give it a shake and you are ready to use your DIY mouth rinse. Swish it around in your mouth for 30-45 seconds and spit it out. Do not swallow.
Give the bottle of homemade natural mouthwash recipe a good shake before each use. This homemade mouthwash recipe is for daily use for good oral health care.
I just love making my own homemade personal care so I know exactly what is in it. I use lots of free essential oil recipes. What kind of natural products are your favorites to make? Let us know!