So you want to burn off the baby weight? You are your baby can do it together! This is about making a full body workout and cardio training every day without paying for a gym or trainer. These fun stroller workout ideas will get you active with your baby so you can get fit and lose weight without a baby sitter.
Stroller Workout Ideas
Stroller workout ideas are the perfect fitness solution for new moms because babies love to get outside and see the world. It also gives mom a chance to be active and burn calories. It is a great for mom to destress too while both parties can enjoy the outdoors.
Start a Stroller Walking Exercise Routine
Try a daily speed walk around your baby’s nap time. Put your child into your stroller and get out of the home for a walk.
Do you burn more calories pushing a stroller?
Yes, you do burn more calories pushing a stroller. The extra effort needed to push a stroller helps you burn between 5-8% more calories.
Did you know that walking is one of the best exercises to lose weight? Here is how to turn your daily walking with the baby stroller into a fitness session.
- Make It Daily – Try to get out for your stroller walk every day! Making it a habit is what gets you results.
- Speedy Walking – Pick up your pace. This isn’t a saunter. Try walking fast. Speed walking will help get your heart rate up an burn fat.
- 20 minutes- 1 Hour – Start at 20 minutes a day and keep increasing until you hit the one hour mark which is the best for the calorie burning effect.
What you need for your Stroller Walking Routine:
– baby pram or an easy rolling jogging stroller
– comfortable walking/running shoes
– water to drink
Stroller Exercises For Moms
These stroller exercises are inspired by callanetics.
While walking try to push a stroller solely by arms, stomach or butt muscles. It’s achieved by holding stroller’s handle certain way, isolating one group of muscles and enabling others to work more intensely.
Add repeated tiny movements for a deeper impact on the muscles – and your body will get a more visibly lean shape day after day. I call it Strollnetics – it’s an invisible fitness with the stroller on the go.
Pushing the stroller the right way will enable you to work the abs, arms and butt muscles to intensively when you’re on the go.
How to do stroller exercises:
- While walking, hold a stroller with a narrow grip and elbows fixed to the stomach: this makes abs muscles work double intense.
- Hold a stroller with the upper wider grip with elbows further back. This trick makes you pushing a stroller solely by your arms, causing triceps to undertake a full load. Lean shaped arms is the result.
- Make larger steps and push a stroller up and down the hills to make the booty muscles take the full load. Daily walking this way guarantees a firm butt.
- Do 5 minutes of stand up stretching to finish your stroller workout.
Strollnetics exercises are invisible. Training can even be done during strolling in a shopping mall!
Gym equivalent: a 60 minutes strength workout for abs, triceps or arms combined with intense interval cardio training (plus a fresh air).
Rollerblading With Stroller – a lower body workout
Rollerblading for fitness is a slow speed inline skating. Pushing a baby stroller combined with the special skating technique will workout hips, butt and stomach muscles.
What you need for this stroller workout:
– Proper jogging stroller with three fixed wheels
– Safety Leash and cycling bell on it
– Head support for a child
– Water to drink
How to do Rollerblading with stroller:
– Slalom skating technique: works out stomach and hips muscles
– Half circles: intense strength exercises for the butt and hips
– Infinite eight – abs and butt muscles skating technique
– From once a week to twice a week (I’d not recommend more often, as it is high intensity workout.)
Warning: Rollerblading is not recommended with the babies under 9 months old. It is also not recommended for beginners. If you are not already getting a good cardio stroller walking routine going, do not attempt this. If you do not already know how to rollerblade well, do no attempt this.
Gym Equivalent: intense 1.5 h lower park strength workout combined with the cardio training+ fresh air benefit
Stroller Fitness is Free Fitness for Moms
Walking fast with the baby stroller every day just one hour until your child outgrows the stroller, will have a life changing impact on your life and your body! We don’t need to pay for a gym, coaches and the baby sitters to make ourselves fit and healthy. Get the stroller and start walking. Everyone can do it!
Post contributed by Elena Filatova who is a stroller fitness expert, blogger, an author of Strollnetics, a mom that has done more than 5000 miles with the baby stroller. In her Walkingmama blog she shares her experience on losing weight and getting fit solely by walking with the baby stroller! @walkingmama_net
Combi Shuttle Travel System Review
Quick And Easy 10 Minute Home Workout
Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says
I’d do walking or jogging, but I’m too much of a wuss to try rollerblading while strolling!
Actually, it’s easier to rollerblade with the stroller than without it, you would be amazed!
Back when I was in my local MOMS club, they had a stroller walking club that met at one of our local malls and it was pretty popular with most of the moms.
Walking, indeed, is quite popular among new moms, as it is just a natural way to get back in shape, enjoy the body moving and get the babies out for a fresh air ride! Some moms love socializing while walking with their strollers, some prefer quietness and enjoy “personal” walks most. In both cases walking is a great activity for the body and soul!
Mommy Stroller says
Thanks for sharing these money saving tips! Definitely gotta try some of these out with my stroller 🙂