For those of you that are not familiar with the Paleo Diet, it can be simplified as a way of eating that focuses on meat, fruits, and vegetables and cuts out processed foods and grains. Basically, delicious and nutritious foods. That is why I am so happy to have Melissa Petitto share with us one of her fantastic recipes from her new cookbook- “30-MINUTE PALEO MEALS.” Her Paleo cookbook includes over 100 Quick-Fix, Gluten-Free Recipes. Today I am fortunate enough to have been given permission to print her recipe for Paleo Crispy Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Cherry-Basil Relish. Fancy enough for entertaining guests but done in under 30 minutes!
Paleo Crispy Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Cherry-Basil Relish
Make sure you buy duck breasts that are around 6oz (175g) each. If they are any larger, the cooking time will increase. It’s an easy recipe to prepare and utterly delicious in its simplicity.
Preparation Time: 1 minute | Cooking Time: 24 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes |
4 x 6oz (175g) local duck breast halves
1/2 cup (50g/2oz) dried cherries skin scored
1/4 cup (60ml/2fl oz) dark rum or cognac
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup (15g/1/2oz) basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Paleo Duck Recipe Directions:
1. In a small bowl, soak the cherries in the dark rum or cognac. Set aside.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat until fairly hot.
3. Season both sides of the duck breasts with the salt and pepper.
4. Place the duck breasts, skin side down, in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the fat to render out for 20–22 minutes, removing excess fat if needed.
5. Once the fat has rendered and the skin side is golden and crispy, increase the heat to high and turn the breast over. Cook for another 2 minutes for medium doneness.
6. Transfer the duck breast to a cutting board, cover it with foil and allow to rest for 4–5 minutes. Reserve the pan and any juices.
7. To make the relish, drain most of the fat from the reserved pan juices and add the
cherries and liquor. Simmer over medium heat for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or
until the liquid is thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
8. To serve, carve the duck into thick slices and spoon over the relish.
Cal 210 | Cal from Fat 35 | Total Fat 4g | Sat Fat 1g | Sodium 540mg | Fiber 2g | Pro 19g
I hope you enjoy the Crispy Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Cherry-Basil Relish. Do you think you will try this Paleo duck recipe? If you want to try more of her Paleo recipes you can check out her book at Amazon (affiliate link here.)