For those of you that are not familiar with the Paleo Diet, it can be simplified as a way of eating that focuses on meat, fruits, and vegetables and cuts out processed foods and grains. Basically, delicious and nutritious foods. That is why I am so happy to have Melissa Petitto share with us one of her fantastic recipes from her new cookbook- “30-MINUTE PALEO MEALS.” This Paleo duck breast recipe with cherry sauce is a real winner- simple but impressive.
Her Paleo cookbook includes over 100 Quick-Fix, Gluten-Free Recipes. Today I am fortunate enough to have been given permission to print her recipe for Paleo Crispy Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Cherry-Basil Relish. Fancy enough for entertaining guests but done in under 30 minutes!
Paleo Crispy Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Cherry-Basil Relish
Make sure you buy duck breasts that are around 6oz (175g) each. If they are any larger, the cooking time will increase. It’s an easy recipe to prepare and utterly delicious in its simplicity.
- 4 x 6oz (175g) local duck breast halves
- 1/2 cup (50g/2oz) dried cherries skin scored
- 1/4 cup (60ml/2fl oz) dark rum or cognac
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup (15g/1/2oz) basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How To Make Roast Duck Breast With Cherry Sauce:
1. In a small bowl, soak the cherries in the dark rum or cognac. Set aside.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat until fairly hot.
3. Season both sides of the duck breasts with the salt and pepper.
4. Place the duck breasts, skin side down, in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the fat to render out for 20–22 minutes, removing excess fat if needed.
5. Once the fat has rendered and the skin side is golden and crispy, increase the heat to high and turn the breast over. Cook for another 2 minutes for medium doneness.
6. Transfer the duck breast to a cutting board, cover it with foil and allow to rest for 4–5 minutes. Reserve the pan and any juices.
7. To make the relish, drain most of the fat from the reserved pan juices and add the cherries and liquor. Simmer over medium heat for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the liquid is thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
8. To serve, carve the duck into thick slices and spoon over the relish.
This duck dish is so elegant and easy. It is sure to become a go to dish to impress your dinner guests.
Printable Paleo Duck Breast Recipe
I hope you enjoy this Crispy Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Cherry-Basil Relish. Be sure to print or pin this Paleo duck breast recipe to try soon! Share your photos with us by using #familyfocusblog!