This is a step-by-step recipe for a pesto grilled cheese sandwich. There is also a step-by-step recipe for just the pesto. It is time to upgrade the classic grilled cheese sandwich and what better way than to add fresh, homemade pesto. This “odd” combination is packed with flavor! So put down the yellow squares of cheese and pull out the food processor. After you try this, you will never go back to the classic!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Pesto
You only need a few ingredients for this culinary masterpiece. One of the ingredients you will need is pesto. You can buy it at the store and have great results, but homemade pesto will kick it up a notch to truly fabulous. Don’t worry, pesto is super easy to make- try my pesto recipe if you have the time.
Pesto Grilled Cheese Ingredients:
- Fontina Cheese
- Ricotta Cheese
- Italian Bread
A word on the cheese choices for this grilled cheese:
Fontina cheese is very similar to mozzarella so feel free to use that instead. Or you could use a fresh mozzarella burrata in place of both the fontina and the ricotta as it has a fresh mozzarella exterior with a creamy interior so you get a similar effect.
How To Make A Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Take a loaf of Italian bread and go ahead and cut two pieces out for the sandwich. I used Pane Toscano or Tuscan bread. The better the bread, the better the sandwich.
Cut the fontina cheese into two wedge shaped pieces, not too thick but not too thin, and place one wedge on each slice of bread.
Next spoon out some ricotta cheese and place the majority of it on side of the bread with the thinnest amount of fontina cheese.
Now you can choose between two cooking methods:
The first is more traditional.
You can but some butter in a pan over medium and lay your slices in the pan directly on top of the melted butter. Then cover with a lid as you allow your bread to get toasted and the cheese to begin to melt. Add the pesto to slices, put the slice together to form a sandwich and cook for a tad bit longer if needed to warm through. Serve and enjoy.
The second is uses an oven instead of a frying pan.
Toast both slices until you can see the fontina cheese has melted. The length of time will depend on the strength of your broiler oven or toaster oven. Once both sides are toasted, spread a generous amount of pesto on both sides. Slap those two together and you are all done and your sandwich is ready to eat, enjoy!
Printable Pesto Grilled Cheese Recipe
So easy and so delicious! The better quality ingredients, the better the results.
Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 tsp pesto
- 2 slices of Fontina Cheese
- 4 tbsp Ricotta Cheese
- 2 slices of Italian Bread
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Lay flat on the cutting board two slices of Italian bread.
- Cut the fontina cheese into two wedge shaped pieces and place one wedge on each slice of bread.
- Next spoon out some ricotta cheese and place the majority of it on side of the bread with the thinnest amount of fontina cheese.
- Warm 1 tspb of butter in a pan over medium and lay your slices in the pan directly on top of the melted butter.
- Then cover with a lid as you allow your bread to become a nice toasted golden color and the cheese to begin to melt.
- Add the pesto to the slices and put the slices together to form a sandwich.
- Cook for a tad bit longer if needed to warm through.
- Serve and enjoy.
Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 41.84 g||63.1%|
|Saturated Fat 23.95 g||115%|
|Trans Fat 0.47 g|
|Cholesterol 127.75 mg||42.3%|
|Sodium 848.86 mg||35.3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22.75 g||7.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.22 g||4%|
|Sugars 1.36 g|
|Protein 25.31 g|
|Vitamin A 35.23 %||Vitamin C 0.0 %|
|Calcium 48.74 %||Iron 9.86 %|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Family Focus Blog
How do you like to make your grilled cheese sandwiches? Do you think you would try out this pesto grilled cheese sandwich recipe? If you do, be sure to let us know how you liked it!
Tomato and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Red Pepper Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe