While scavenging through my refrigerator and pantry for a late night snack, I tried to see if I could squeeze out a sandwich of some kind and came across cheese and bread. Then thought, “Wow, when was the last time I had a grilled cheese sandwich? It has to have been some years.” As I made the my gourmet grilled cheese sandwich, I thought of two things- how my grandmother would be so happy if she could see me and how she was the last person to give me a grilled cheese. They were delicious and sometimes she would add different cheeses, tomatoes, and vegetables. I decided to share this fancy grilled cheese recipe inspired by my grandma- a delicious Brie Grilled Cheese.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese Brie Tomato Sandwich Recipe
Brie Cheese Sandwich Ingredients:
- 2 slices fresh bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove, pressed
- Dijon mustard
- Brie cheese, sliced about 1/4 of an inch thick
- 1/2 cup baby arugula or spinach greens
- Thick slices of ripe tomato
Makes 1 gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
How To Make Grilled Brie Tomato Sandwich:
1. Warm your skillet, griddle pan, or grill.
2. Brush olive oil or butter onto one side of each bread slice and evenly sprinkle pressed garlic.
3. Spread Dijon mustard on the side of the bread without the olive oil.
4. Place the bread in the pan, buttered side against the pan, to start browning about 3-4 minutes.
5. To your liking, top each bread slice with brie cheese, greens, and tomato slices. You may wish to wilt the greens down a bit in the same pan before adding them to the inside of the sandwich.
6. Place slices together to form a sandwich and press down for another minute on each side or until cheese gets melty.
7. Remove from heat and slice in half.
8. Serve and enjoy.
I like to serve with some chips or fresh fruit.
Some fun grilled cheese variations:
A Brie Grilled Cheese sandwich is delicious with tomato slices but other fun variations to try are brie apple grilled cheese or brie pear grilled cheese. Make those the same way and just substitute the tomato slices with either apple or pear slices.
There are so many ways to customize a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. Feel free to experiment in order to discover your favorites!
Try wheat bread or brioche bread or multi-grain Italian. It is the freshness of the bread more than the type that makes a difference. So bake it yourself or pick it up at a local bakery.
Printable Brie Grilled Cheese Recipe
I hope you enjoy this grilled brie and tomato sandwich as much as I did when my grandmother made it for me. Do you have a special gourmet grilled cheese sandwich? What is it? Who was the first person to make it for you?