At my house, we have a couple of cookie monsters. I have to admit to being one of them! I absolutely love good homemade cookies. When I heard about the book, COOKIES FOR GROWN-UPS, by Kelly Cooper, Red Rock Press (affiliate link below), I was intrigued. When I saw the recipe for Pumpkin-Seed Spice Cookies, I was sold! Hello to the perfect fall cookie! I just the love the cream cheese frosting on top of this pumpkin spice cookies recipe- yummy and pretty! Thanks so much to Red Rock Press for allowing me to reprint this recipe here. If you love cookies like I do- you may want to check out the whole book!
Pumpkin Spice Cookies Recipe With Cream Cheese Frosting:
AUTUMN COOKIES: Pumpkin-Seed Spice Cookie Recipe With Cream Cheese Frosting
Cookies made with pumpkin, pumpkin seed (pepita), spice and cream cheese!
Pairing: Pinot Noir
Yields about 4 dozen Pumpkin-Seed Spice Cookies.
Pumpkin Spice Cookie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- one large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin, pureéd
- 2 cups all-purpose _our
- 1 cup whole pumpkin seeds (unsalted or lightly salted, roasted or raw),
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
FOR FROSTING AND DECORATION
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted
- butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk or heavy cream
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, whole
How To Make The Best Pumpkin Spice Cookies:
While the COOKIES for GROWN-UPS cookbook offers three different spice combinations that can be used- Traditional American Thanksgiving, Mexican empanada, and Indian curry, I have shared their Traditional American Thanksgiving Pumpkin-Seed Spice Cookie Recipe with you here.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, vanilla and pumpkin pureé. Beat until well blended.
2. Whisk together .our, pumpkin seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and one of the spice combinations in a small bowl and add to butter mixture. Beat until just incorporated.
3. Scoop or drop dough by 1 teaspoon portions and place 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined or nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Let sit for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
4. To make frosting: In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter, then add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and milk or cream and mix to a creamy frosting consistency, adding a touch more milk as needed. Frost cookies. Decorate the tops of the cookies with a flower of pumpkin seeds and, if desired, sprinkle with curry powder or cinnamon.
I hope you enjoy this pumpkin spice cookies recipe. I think it is sure to be a hit at holiday potluck parties!
Printable Pumpkin Spice Cookie Recipe: