The 4th of July is right around the corner and that means patriotism, fireworks and outdoor parties! This easy American flag cake recipe is perfect for the occasion. For the topping, I use a homemade cool whip which is super easy to make. To form the flag on top of the cake, I use banana slices for the white stripes, strawberry halves for the red stripes, and blueberries for the stars. The flag cake has great flavors with the combination of tartness from the fresh berries and sweetness from the red velvet cake!
Classic Patriotic Flag Cake Recipe With Fresh Berries
First make the homemade cool whip for the “icing”. It is so delicious and the consistency is light and creamy compared to frosting or cool whip.
Homemade Cool Whip Recipe:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2.5 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- Place 2 cups of heavy cream in a mixing bowl. Using a stationary or hand held mixer on a low setting whip up the heavy cream until it becomes a thicker consistency.
- Then add your vanilla extract and confectioner’s sugar and blend again using the mixer on medium speed or high speed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in a glass container in fridge until ready to use.
Don’t over blend! Think cool whip consistency not butter.
Red Velvet Flag Cake Recipe:
You will bake an easy red velvet cake and top with whipped topping and decorate with fresh fruit in the pattern of the American flag.
- 2 boxes of red velvet cake mix
- Bananas (optional)
- 1 rectangular cake pan
- Homemade whip cream
Red Velvet Flag Cake Recipe Instructions:
- Use a large bowl and follow the directions on the boxed cake mix for preparation. You may need other ingredients such as eggs and oil. Pour batter into a prepared pan and bake in the center of oven according to the package directions.
- Once cake batter is done cooking, let it cool on a wire rack. You may want to place it in the fridge until ready to serve.
- After the red velvet cake has cooled down and your homemade cool whip has sat in the fridge or freezer it is time to decorate!
- Spread the cool whip all over the surface of the entire cake evenly. Use a plastic spatula to scrap down sides of the bowl and get all that creamy goodness!
- Using the fresh blueberries create a square in the top left of the cake. These will be the stars.
- Cut fresh strawberries in half and line them horizontally on top of cake. Do the same with the bananas. These will be your stripes. (You can make rows of raspberries if you prefer those in place of rows of strawberries.
- Your crowd pleaser is finished. Now, dig in!
Printable Recipe For Flag Cake
This easy flag cake makes a delicious dessert. I hope you enjoy the cake and Independence Day festivities! It is also the perfect dessert to celebrate Memorial Day. Have you made a flag cake before? Would you try this red velvet flag cake recipe? Do you think you will let the kids help you decorate?