Recycling is the best way for us to ensure that we re-purpose what we use on a daily basis and turn it into something we can use again. If you are like millions of Americans, you want to do your part in saving energy, reducing landfills, lessening pollution and conserving natural resources for generations to come. So here are some tips on what materials can be recycled and what can be made out of recycled materials.
Materials That Can Be Recycled
Almost every municipality makes it possible to recycle glass, plastic, aluminum cans, tin cans, and paper. Check with your recycling center for specific rules on which types of plastic they accept.
Materials that can recycled should be recycled! Waste adds up so quickly. Over the last decade, plastic bottles have become increasingly popular, especially water bottles. Each day 60 million plastic bottles of water, juice, and soda are consumed by Americans. What happens to all those bottles? Well, thanks to growing awareness, plastic bottle recycling has grown to over 45 million pounds a year. This is so important!
What Can Be Made Out Of Recycled Materials? You’d be amazed!
The process of recycling aluminum, paper, bottles, and glass, has become a global effort.
- Businesses use much less energy than they would normally use to manufacture new products by reusing old ones.
- The world’s longest recycled bridge is in Peeblesshire, Scotland, and is made from plastic bottles and other plastic waste. It is 90 feet long and it can hold up to 44 tons of people, cars, or trucks. It’s truly amazing, and something we would not have even imagined just 20 short years ago!
- The upholstery in the 2012 Ford Focus electric car has up to 22 bottles in the seat fabrics.
- Paper products reinvent themselves into paper towels, copy paper and much more.
- Aluminum is mostly recycled back into cans, which by the way, uses 96% less energy than producing a new one.
- With today’s technology, recycled aluminum cans and steel can create tractor trailers and car bodies.
- Want a gorgeous garden? Composting is the process of recycling organic materials to fertilize and beautify your yard.
- TerraCycle enables the recycling on unusual items, such as wrappers, electronics, pens, & shoes! You can recycle and raise money for communities & schools at the same time.
Starting a “can do” recycling movement.
- For many, recycling appears to be a complex process of organizing, separating, and finding locations to turn it all in. To do your part, start by making a commitment to change. Once your system is established, it will become second nature!
- Outdoor furniture, kitchen counter tops, recycled plastic soap dishes, playgrounds and fighter jets are all made from your efforts to conserve, and there is no end in sight. Regenerating and reusing resources is not only changing the way we evolve as a nation, but ensuring our quest for a beautiful world.
What are your tricks and tips for making recycling easy & fun?