DIY hanging flower balls make pretty ornaments for your home that are very easy and affordable to create. These artificial flower decorations for your home can be made to match any color palate or theme. They are a great way to add color and decoration to a room without taking up floor space. Make these flower decorations for your house or for an upcoming event. Since you are the creator, you can make them as casual, classy, bright or fun as you please to match any theme you desire.
Flower balls are also known as Kissing Balls, Flower Spheres, Pomanders, and flower ornaments. By any name they are beautiful and bring joy!
Artificial Hanging Flower Balls Tutorial:
This same method can be used to make flower balls with fresh flowers and for really special occasions like a wedding, those may be ideal. However, for everyday enjoyment, artificial flower balls are much more long lasting and economical. Here are step by step directions for how to make hanging flower ball ornament. All of the supplies needed can be purchased at your local craft store or through my affiliate Amazon link below.
Materials Needed for DIY Hanging Flower Balls:
- Styrofoam Balls, 5-Inch
- Faux flowers
- Thin rope
- Glue gun
- Wire cutters
- Thumb tacks optional
- Faux butterflies optional
How To Make Hanging Flower Balls:
- Using your wire cutter or scissors, clip off the flowers and leave 1/2-1 inch of stem.
- If you are using different sized flowers for one ball, start with the larger flowers and place them sporadically. Then move to the next largest and so on.
- The foam is somewhat fragile so use your glue gun to reenforce the stems. Make a hole in the ball with the stem, then remove the stem, place glue in the hole and place the stem back into the hole.
- Once you have covered the ball, you can add other decorative elements. I chose butterflies, but you can use ladies, birds or whatever you think will look best!
- Cut a piece of the thin rope. Depending on how low you want this to hang is up to you.
- Use the glue gun and glue 1/2-1 inch of the rope on the ball. Depending on how heavy the ball is you may want to add a second layer of glue or flat thumb tacks.
- Finally, hang them up! I used two flat thumb tacks, but you can use which ever method you please.
- Using different flowers, leaves and other decorative elements gives the floral balls more dimension and is more aesthetically pleasing. Have fun and enjoy!
Would you make these DIY hanging flower ornaments? Which colors and flowers would you use to make your flower ball decorations?