This is a step-by-step tutorial for DIY hand painted Easter eggs!Easter is coming up soon and that means decorating.I visited Prague and Budapest a few years back during the Easter season and I had never seen such beautiful Easter decoration.There were enormous painted eggs throughout the cites.And colors were bold and saturated!So today I present you with this tutorial so you too can enjoy the beauty of their Easter traditions.I hope you enjoy making these for yourself and they also make an excellent Easter gift for loved ones.
DIY Hand Painted Easter Eggs Tutorial
- Wooden Easter eggs or real eggs (a real chicken egg must be hollowed out)
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brushes
- Stencils optional
- Rhinestones optional
- Sponges optional
- Cerne relief optional
Hand Painted Eggs Instructions:
- You can use real hollowed out eggs for this project but I personally prefer using wooden eggs from a craft store. The bottom of the egg is flat on wooden ones so that they make wooden painted easter eggs that stand on their own.
- Next, paint a couple layers as a base on each egg. You can stick with pastel colors, which are typically traditional in the United States. Or, my personal favorite, use a bold color as a base, which is more typically found in places like Prague and Budapest.
- Now it is time to bring out the smaller detailing brushes and stencils! Create any type of pattern you want. Some good references for painted easter egg ideas would be floral patterns and henna designs.
- If your eggs need more add some rhinestones. I used small flat-back pearls. You could also use glitter or gold leaf!
- Now if you want to add more 3D detail in your painted easter egg designs, I would suggest using Pebeo cerne relief. It dries transparent so you could add it to the base or just use for detail to create an enamel effect. It is a very unique product.
How To Display Your Painted Eggs
If you are using hollow eggs you can place them in a small decorative Easter basket for display. Or put them in a small glass container. Or you could even hang your decorative Easter eggs on strings! If you are using the flat-based wooden eggs you can decorate all of your shelves and tables with them. Enjoy!
Do you decorate for Easter? Do you traditionally make hand painted Easter eggs? Would you try this DIY hand painted Easter eggs tutorial? If you do, please be sure to share your creations with us! We would love to see what you come up with. Just tag us @familyfocusblog
You may also enjoy making embroidery thread Easter eggs!
Wow!! These painted eggs are so beautiful. They’re like little works of art. Thanks for sharing your photos.
Lauren from DIY BEST POSTS says
Wow, great work. I saw a lot of diy easter eggs and yours are definitely the most beautiful.
I shared this article on my site.