I went to college at Tulane University, so I sure do love a good po’ boy! Since I am no longer living in the Big Easy, I sometimes like to make recipes that bring me a little taste of New Orleans. Today’s recipe is for Fried Okra and Shrimp Po’Boy and it sure does taste delicious. This is an easy to make sandwich with sautéed shrimp and lightly breaded okra on a bed of chopped butter lettuce and pickles.
This post is sponsored by The National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA). All opinions are my own. For more inspiration during #FrozenFoodMonth, be sure to check out delicious ideas from NFRA at EasyHomeMeals.com #MFFM2023
Pictsweet Farms® Vegetables For The Air Fryer
Don’t be intimidated by the lightly breaded okra. We will be using Pictsweet Farms® Vegetables For The Air Fryer and they make it super easy to get that fried okra yumminess without actually having to fry the okra at all. And if you have never tried okra before, fried okra is the most accessible way to win you over. It is delish with that cornmeal crunch on it.
The fact is, I don’t like to deep fry things at home both because I am lazy and health-conscious. But I do love my air fryer and I the way it makes things taste all crunchy and like they have been deep fried. When I found the Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Okra in my grocery store freezer aisle I knew I had to give them a try. Being from Louisiana, fried okra takes me back to my roots every time and I love it. The Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Okra are made specifically for the air fryer. This makes them super easy cook. You just cut open the bag and drop them in the air fryer to get nice and crisped up. I love when delicious and easy go hand in hand.
If you are a busy mom like me, you are probably always on the look out for new fast and easy dinner ideas. That is why I like these new Pictsweet Farms® Vegetables For The Air Fryer. They are pre-seasoned and ready to cook in the air fryer. These air fry vegetables only take 10 minutes and they taste amazing! For remarkable flavor with every bite, consider trying these Pictsweet Farms® all natural air fry frozen veggies as well:
- Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Cut Asparagus Spears
- Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Halved Brussels Sprouts
- Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Parmesan Cauliflower
- Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Red Potatoes, Onions & Sweet Peppers
- Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Mexican Street Corn
Anyway, now that we have established how quick and easy the lightly breaded okra will be, we are ready to dive into the rest of this easy Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich Recipe.
Easy Okra & Shrimp Po’Boy Recipe
While a traditional shrimp po’boy would usually feature cornmeal fried shrimp, I have forgone that here since I am using the okra that offer the corn meal crunch. So no deep frying is necessary for this poor boy sandwich recipe. That makes this recipe way easier and you can whip it up for your family lickity split even on a weeknight.
Another time saver is that you don’t have to fix up a po’boy sauce because you can just slather on some mayo. The lemon juice will be on the shrimp and the pickles will be in a layer on the bread instead of chopped in the tartar sauce. All the yummy flavors are there.
- French Baguette (cut into 6″ sections) or 4 Hoagie Rolls
- Fresh Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Olive Oil
- Creole seasoning (AKA cajun seasoning)
- Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Okra
- Iceberg Lettuce or Butter Lettuce, finely chopped
- Vine-ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Dill pickles or bread and butter pickles, round slices or chip style
How To Make A Shrimp Po’Boy
The first step of this Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich Recipe is to take out your air fryer and preheat it. Then pour the Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Okra into your air fryer and cook for 10 minutes.
While the okra is cooking, you can quickly slice the lettuce and tomatoes and place on a plate.
Next, you will cook the shrimp. I like to give the shrimp a quick rinse and pat them dry. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and olive oil. When it melts add the shrimp sprinkled with Creole seasoning and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Shrimp will turn pink when they are cooked through. Remove from heat and pour the juice of half of one lemon over them.
Cut your crusty French bread in half lengthwise. I like to leave it hinged and not cut quite all the way through. If you like, give it a light toast in the oven for 3 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Now, it is time to assemble your po’boys.
Lay your roll out on the plate. Go ahead and slather a thin layer of mayo on the top. Then on the bottom piece of bread, add a layer of shredded lettuce followed by a layer of pickles and tomato slices. Now add the shrimp and pour in the lightly breaded okra. Voila! You have a tasty shrimp po’boy ready to serve.
What to serve with shrimp po’boy: It is most traditional to enjoy with some kettle chips but you could also serve it with french fries. I also always like to serve with a bottle of hot sauce such as Tabasco or Crystal Hot Sauce. Both have cayenne pepper and vinegar and taste delicious on a shrimp po’ boy.
Printable Easy Shrimp Po Boy Recipe Card
Easy Okra & Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich Recipe
- 1 French Baguette cut into 6″ sections or 4 Hoagie Rolls
- 1. 3 lbs. Fresh Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning (AKA cajun seasoning)
- 1 bag of Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Okra
- 1 cup of Iceberg Lettuce or Butter Lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- dill pickles or bread and butter pickles, round slices or chip style
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- Preheat Airfyer. Then pour the Pictsweet Farms® Seasoned Lightly Breaded Okra into your air fryer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- While the okra is cooking, slice the lettuce and tomatoes and place on a plate.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and olive oil. When it melts add the shrimp sprinkled with Creole seasoning and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Shrimp will turn pink when they are cooked through. Remove from heat and pour the fresh lemon juice over them.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise, leave it hinged if you like. Give it a light toast in the oven for 3 minutes at 375 degrees F (optional).
- Assemble po’boys. Lay bread out on the plate. Slather a layer of mayo on the top. Then on the bottom piece of bread, add a layer of shredded lettuce followed by a layer of pickles and tomato slices. Now add the shrimp and pour in the lightly breaded okra.
- Serve and enjoy!
Easy Okra & Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich Recipe
|Amount Per Serving:|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18.53 g||27.7%|
|Saturated Fat 4.19 g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.12 g|
|Cholesterol 195.83 mg||65%|
|Sodium 291.33 mg||12.1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.36 g||2.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.45 g||4%|
|Sugars 1.63 g|
|Protein 24.33 g|
|Vitamin A 43.5 µg||Vitamin C 13.17 mg|
|Calcium 99.34 mg||Iron 1.27 mg|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Family Focus Blog
Pictsweet Farms® Prize Pack Giveaway
Details: Three lucky winners (USA Only, 18+) will each win a prize pack of 10 Pictsweet Farms® coupons for free product (each coupon valued at up to $5.00). Each prize pack worth up to $50.00.
Dates: March 17- March 31, 2023
How To Enter: Use the Gleam widget to select entries you wish to complete.Pictsweet Farms® Prize Pack Giveaway
Visit Easy Home Meals for great recipe and meal solutions and to enter the March Frozen Food Month Sweepstakes for a chance to win up to $10,000 in prizes!
I hope you love this okra and shrimp po boy sandwich recipe as much as I do! Would you like to try the Pictsweet Farms® Vegetables For The Air Fryer? Which variety of air fry veggies sounds the best to you? Did you make this Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich Recipe? Share your pics on social media @familyfocusblog!
Howard Steeley says
I’d love to win air fry veggies.
This was look so nice and healthy and niche easy to cook for a family and so many nutrients are in the sandwich. literally it’s awesome food and great food tips.