I get especially into using my slow cooker when it is cold outside. There is just something comforting about the nice warm food and delicious flavors from a slow cooker. Anyway, I have been using it more than normal lately. When I heard about The Minerva Dairy America’s Slowest Recipe Contest, I thought it would be fun to come up with a slow cooker recipe to enter. Well, it came out delicious and I am happy to share with you the herbed whole chicken slow cooker recipe that I entered in the contest. It is super easy to cook chicken in a crock pot so get ready for a delicious, easy dinner!
Easy Whole Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe
I developed this recipe when Minerva Dairy provided me with a variety pack of Minerva Dairy’s flavored infused butter to help inspire my recipe ideas. Minerva Dairy butter is Amish made butter that is made from farm fresh milk from pasture-raised cows and hand churned in small batches to ensure the highest quality and flavor. This 84% butterfat butter is truly flavorful. I decided on a whole chicken because it is a cost efficient way to enjoy chicken and and I could add some veggies to the crock pot as well for a whole meal in one crock pot.
You won’t believe how easy this whole chicken slow cooker recipe is! So easy. You just gather up your ingredients on the counter along with your slow cooker.
How To Cook Whole Chicken In Slow Cooker
Once everything is ready, you can add the garlic and the butter to the crock pot. Then wash the whole chicken and pat dry. Season the chicken with the spices and fresh lemon zest and then stuff the lemon inside the chicken cavity.
Place the chicken breast side up into the slow cooker with a bit of butter over the top. Then just add the veggies and fresh herbs. I told you it was easy! And then you wind up with a wholesome, impressive meal which would go great served with some french bread.
As the whole chicken cooks in the crock pot, it creates an amazing natural gravy that is great served over the chicken.
I left my chicken to cook for about 9 hours by mistake. It was still delicious but it was a bit falling off the bone almost. The legs and thighs fell off as I transferred it to my serving dish! I think you will love how worry-free this dish is. Here is the printable recipe card.
Don’t forget to save the bones after you eat dinner because those are perfect for slow cooker chicken stock!
Slow cooking a whole chicken in a slow cooker has several benefits:
- Convenience: It’s incredibly convenient. Once you season the chicken and place it in the slow cooker, you can set it and forget it for several hours. This makes it an excellent option for busy days when you don’t have time to spend in the kitchen.
- Tender and Juicy Meat: Slow cooking allows the chicken to cook slowly and evenly, resulting in tender, juicy meat. The low temperature and long cooking time help break down the connective tissues in the chicken, making it incredibly tender.
- Flavor Infusion: As the chicken cooks slowly, it has more time to absorb the flavors of any herbs, spices, or other ingredients you add to the slow cooker. This results in a flavorful and delicious chicken.
- Versatility: You can add various ingredients to the slow cooker along with the chicken to create different flavor profiles. For example, you can add vegetables, herbs, broth, or sauces to customize the dish to your liking.
- Cost-effective: Cooking a whole chicken in a slow cooker can be a cost-effective way to prepare a meal for a family or a group of people. Whole chickens are often more affordable than buying individual cuts of meat, and slow cooking helps stretch the meat further.
Overall, slow cooking a whole chicken is a convenient, flavorful, and budget-friendly way to prepare a delicious meal with minimal effort. I hope you enjoy my herbed whole chicken slow cooker recipe. Let me know how yours came out or share your photos on social media @familyfocusblog!