I get especially into using my slow cooker when it is cold outside. There is just something comforting about the nice warm food and delicious flavors from a slow cooker. Anyway, I have been using it more than normal lately and when I heard about The Minerva Dairy America’s Slowest Recipe Contest, I thought it would be full to come up with a slow cooker recipe to enter. Well, it came out delicious and I am happy to share with you the herbed whole chicken slow cooker recipe that I entered in the contest. It is super easy to cook chicken in a crock pot so get ready for a delicious, easy dinner!
Herbed Whole Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe
I developed this recipe when Minerva Dairy provided me with a variety pack of Minerva Dairy’s flavored infused butter to help inspire my recipe ideas. Minerva Dairy butter is Amish made butter that is made from farm fresh milk from pasture-raised cows and hand churned in small batches to ensure the highest quality and flavor. This 84% butterfat butter is truly flavorful. I decided on a whole chicken because it is a cost efficient way to enjoy chicken and and I could add some veggies to the crock pot as well for a whole meal in one crock pot.
You won’t believe how easy this whole chicken slow cooker recipe is! So easy. You just gather up your ingredients on the counter along with your slow cooker.
Once everything is ready, you can add the garlic and the butter to the crock pot. Then wash the whole chicken and pat dry. Season the chicken with the spices and fresh lemon zest and then stuff the lemon inside the chicken cavity.
Place the chicken breast side up into the slow cooker with a bit of butter over the top. Then just add the veggies and fresh herbs. I told you it was easy! And then you wind up with a wholesome, impressive meal which would go great served with some french bread.
As the whole chicken cooks in the crock pot, it creates an amazing natural gravy that is great served over the chicken.
I left my chicken to cook for about 9 hours by mistake and it was still delicious but it was a bit falling off the bone almost. The legs and thighs fell off as I transferred it to my serving dish! I think you will love how worry free this dish is.
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. small potatoes (Yukon gold or new potatoes)
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2-3 twigs of fresh rosemary
- 4-5 twigs of fresh thyme
- Place 3 tablespoons of butter in the bottom of the crock pot with minced garlic. I used Minerva Dairy Amish Roll Butter Smoked Maplewood to give the chicken an extra delicious bit of smoked flavor.
- Remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken cavity. Rinse with cool water and place on a cutting board.
- Mix the first four ingredients together and then use this spice rub to coat the chicken.
- Use a zester to remove the yellow layer from the lemon and insert this lemon zest between the chicken breast meat and the skin. Slice lemon in half and insert into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in slow cooker breast side up and place the last tablespoon of butter over the chicken.
- You can then add the veggies around the chicken and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add the fresh springs of rosemary and thyme to the crock pot as well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken to a serving dish and arrange vegetables around chicken.
- Whisk mustard into remaining natural chicken gravy juices in the slow cooker and serve sauce with chicken.
America’s Slowest Recipe Contest
I hope you enjoy my herbed whole chicken slow cooker recipe. You can enter America’s Slowest Recipe Contest too! You just have to develop a slow cooker recipe and enter it for a chance to win a Kitchen Aid multi-cooker and a year of Minerva Dairy 84 % butterfat Amish Roll butter! Details at minervadairy.com If you enter the slow cooker recipe contest, let me know what dish you submit so I can look for it and give it a try too!