A few years ago I found myself strolling up and down the cough medicine aisle just looking for some decent cough drops. All natural cough drops are pretty difficult to come by! My husband had a scratchy throat and he just needed something to help soothe it and ease a cough. There are tons of cough drops on the market that contain artificial colors and flavors and that have so much sugar. Cough drops aren’t suppose to be pieces of hard candy! Anyways, sugar doesn’t help a cough out in the least bit. After searching and not really finding anything that he wanted, he jokingly said “why don’t you make me some with your Young Living essential oils”. Challenge accepted- although this Thieves and Lemon homemade cough drops recipe is not a challenge to make at all- it is so easy!
Disclaimer: These homemade cough drops should not be given to children under 6. These Natural Homemade Cough Drops are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please see a qualified health professional if you have any health concerns.
Natural Homemade Cough Drops Recipe
DIY Cough Drops Natural Ingredients And Supplies Needed:
- Measuring Cup
- Coconut Oil
- Organic Honey
- 10 drops of Young Living Thieves Vitality Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Young Living Clove Vitality Essential Oil
- Candy Silicone Molds Optional
I suggest that you use Young Living Vitality Essential Oils ONLY because they are high quality and safe for ingestion. Not all essential oils are equal and it is not safe to ingest just any essential oil- you can read more about that at Mind Body Green. These herbal pure essential oils have lots of wonderful healing properties making them natural remedies for an irritated throat. The antibacterial properties are great for dealing with a sore throat during the cold and flu season.
How To Make Cough Drops:
Head to the kitchen to get started on how to make homemade honey cough drops. Grab your supplies and simple ingredients. You don’t have to have any fancy equipment or a candy thermometer. The cooking process is super easy for these DIY cough drops.
Boil about an inch of water in a small, heavy bottom saucepan and gently place your pyrex (heat safe) or stainless steel measuring cup in the water. You can use a double boiler but this is the same idea and is easier to work with. You are going to boil the local honey and room temperature coconut oil together. Add 1 cup honey into the hot measuring cup and add 2 TBSP of coconut oil. Bring those to a rolling boil over a high temperature and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 3-5 minutes stirring a couple of times with a wooden spoon.
Turn off the pot and remove the hot syrup from the heat source. Very carefully pull the measuring cup out of the hot water- you will need to be extra careful and make sure to use an oven mitt so that you don’t burn yourself with the steam from the water, the hot measuring cup, or the hot honey mixture. Place on a heat safe surface.
Add 10 drops of Thieves and 10 drops of Lemon essential oils and stir well. I like to add 3-4 drops of Clove essential oil because clove essential oil has a numbing effect and feels good on sore throats. Once everything is mixed up either pour into silicone candy molds OR make by hand (what I do). Just lay out a piece of parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet and pour your mixture out on that.
Let cool for 20 minutes and then pinch off small amounts and mold into squares with your hands. It takes a few hours for these herbal cough drops to harden up. Then you can store in a single layer on top of wax paper in an airtight container.
How To Use Homemade Honey Cough Drops
Take one homemade cough drop and suck on it in your mouth to help soothe throat.
Warning: These DIY cough drops should not be given to children under 6 (Mayo Clinic guideline) because they may present a choking hazard. Additionally, these honey cough drops are also not suitable for children under 1 because honey is not safe for children under one year of age.
Printable Recipe For DIY Cough Drops
Easy Homemade Cough Drops
Not for children under 6 years of age as they can present a choking hazard.
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 10 drops Young Living Thieves Vitality Essential Oil
- 10 drops Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- 3 drops Young Living Clove Vitality Essential Oil (optional)
- Boil about an inch of water in a small saucepan and gently place your Pyrex (heat safe) measuring cup into the water.
- Add 1 cup of honey into the hot measuring cup and add 2 TBSP of coconut oil. Bring those to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 3-5 minutes stirring a couple times.
- Turn off the pot and remove it from the heat source.
- Very carefully pull the hot measuring cup out of the steaming water with an oven mitt and place on a heat safe surface.
- Add 10 drops of Young Living Thieves essential oil and 10 drops of lemon essential oil and stir well. Add 3 drops of Clove essential oil (optional). Mix together until smooth.
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet. Carefully pour your mixture out on that keeping it centered within the edges of the paper.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Pinch off small pieces and mold into squares with your hands.
- Lay them flat in a single layer on wax paper to dry and harden for a few hours.
- Store in an airtight container.
Be sure to make your homemade cough drops up ahead of when you might need them. These are so good that you will want to make a second batch! It is always a good idea to have these throat lozenges on hand to help boost the immune system and serve as cough suppressants.
Does this cough drops recipe sound like something you might try to make? Have you ever made your own homemade cough drops before? Let us know what you thought of this home remedy @familyfocusblog!
7 Things To Do When Your Child Has A Cold
This is really neat. I never thought of making them myself. Thanks for the recipe.