Whether you want to help preserve our environment or you want to spend less money, I bet you are wondering, “How can I lower my electricity bill?” It is something that everyone can benefit from! Fortunately, there are all kinds of ways to cut back on electricity use and lower your bill. For maximum energy conservation impact, get the whole family involved. Here are energy saving tips ranging from simple habits to more involved home renovations for how to lower electricity bill.
Best Ways To Lower Your Electric Bill
1. Turn off the lights when not in use. So easy!
2. Unplug any electronics with a box attached to the cord (like your cell phone charger) when they are not in use. They suck energy any time they are plugged whether they are in use or not.
3. Use your heater less. Turning your thermostat down even a few degrees can make a difference. There are lots of other ways to reduce your heating needs from making a draft stopper to air sealing home improvement projects.
4. Use your air conditioning less. Again, adjusting your programmable thermostat a few degrees adds up to savings. Make sure you get your unit serviced so that it runs most efficiently.
5. There is an app for saving energy! The HomeSelfe app shows you where you can save and provides discounts for useful green upgrades.
6. Don’t hold the refrigerator door open longer than you need to and make sure it isn’t placed next to a source of heat that causes it to work harder than it needs to.
7. Another tip for how to lower electricity bill, is to switch to energy efficient light bulbs and use as much natural lighting as possible.
8. Only run your washer or and dishwasher when you have a full load.
9. Use the dryer less. Hang your laundry to dry when the option is suitable to you. When you do use your dryer, remember to empty the lint trap after every load so that it can run more efficiently.
10. You can also use landscaping to conserve home energy.
11. Heat less water. Heating water is actually a huge energy drain so whether it is turning down your water heater a few degrees, taking a shorter shower, or washing your laundry on cold, heating less water will equal significant energy and electricity bill savings.
12. Replace old appliances with Energy Star Appliances for big savings on regular use.
13. See if OhmConnect, a startup that created a unique system to pay users to save energy during peak hours, is available in your area.
14. Use the smaller burner on your stove when you are using a smaller pan because it uses less energy than larger ones.
15. When you replace your roof, chose roofing tiles that conserve energy through material and color choice. This way for how to lower electricity bill need not cost you any extra and only needs to be done when you are replacing your roof anyway.
16. Replace the household air filter monthly so that your HVAC functions efficiently.
17. Make sure you keep the fireplace flue closed.
18. Close vents in rooms that are not used.
19. Make sure you have a dryer vent cover that is designed to remain closed when the dryer is not in use. This helps prevent clogs that result in energy inefficiency.
20. See if your energy company offers a free home energy audit or have one done by a local home energy audit service.
I hope you find these 20 ideas for lowering your electricity bill helpful. What do you do to save energy and reduce your electric bill? Do you have any ideas for getting the whole family involved? Which ones of these tips for how to lower electricity bill do you find most helpful? Share your reducing electricity bill tips @familyfocusblog. We love getting new eco tips!