I love reuse projects. It is so fun to see how people can take something old that no longer has an apparent purpose and give it fresh new life. I saw this clever project where Paige Hemmis showed how to reuse an old door to make an entry way bench on Home & Family, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. I was given permission to share this DIY Entryway Bench project with you here. It is a great way to reuse an old door that you have replaced or you might like the project so much you that could go find an old door at a Habitat For Humanity Restore or other used goods store/ online site. I have been looking for some entryway bench ideas and I thought this one was very clever.
How To Reuse An Old Door- DIY Entryway Bench
H&F Photo Credit: Copyright 2015 Crown Media Family Networks/Photographer: Jeremy Lee
DIY Entryway Bench Supplies:
- Door (of any size)
- Jigsaw Power Tool
- Screws and screw gun (or nails and nail gun)
- Sand paper
- No VOC Paint or Stain
- Coat Hooks
- Accessories (such as baskets for under the bench seat or pillows for the seat)
How To Reuse An Old Door To Make An Entryway Bench:
1. Decide what height you would like your sides of the entryway bench to be. Get creative here….with a jigsaw, you can create any design you would like. Make the first vertical 18” of your sides as wide and symmetrical as possible. Make them 18” wide as well. Then get creative for the additional area. Use the first side you make a template so your second side matches perfectly.
2. Cut your plywood to fit in between the two sides of your bench. It will be your seat bench 18” deep and as long as the width of your door.
3. Lay down your door and set the sides on either side of the door.
4. Either screw the sides to the door or nail them on.
5. Measure 18” up and mark both of your sides.
6. Take your cut piece for your bench and set into place. Either screw in or nail into place. Now you have your diy entryway bench!
7. Stain or paint your entry bench.
8. Add any accessories you would like. Here, she added coat hooks for the sides and top part of the door. She also added baskets underneath the bench seat as well. (You can add a mirror, picture, anything you would like!)
That is it! Your DIY entryway bench is ready to go. What a great way to reuse an old door? Do you think you will give this diy project a go? Do you have other ideas for reusing old doors?