This is a great upcycle project that will help you make your own kitchen island out of an old coffee table or entertainment center. Paige Hemmis first shared this project on Home & Family which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. I received permission to share this useful diy kitchen island project with you here.
Make Your Own Kitchen Island
Upcycling an old TV console from a thrift store, Paige shows you how to make a useful kitchen island. Paige’s DIY kitchen island will cost you $200 or less compared to $1,200 at a retail store.
DIY Kitchen Island Materials
• Console or coffee table
• 4 X 4 wood and 8 feet piece of 1 X 2
• 3/4″ Plywood
• Galvanized pipe
• 3″ Screws
• Wood Glue
Tip: If you don’t want to cut the measurements of the plywood or wood, take it to your hardware store and they will do it for you. Remember the plywood doesn’t have to be expensive because you will be painting over it.
How To Make Your Own Kitchen Island
1. Saw legs off table for a nice solid base
2. Cut 4 x 4 wood to the right height for new legs and use 3.5″ pieces of 1 x 2 to create shelf holders
3. Measure and cut plywood for shelves
4. Attach shelves with screws and wood glue
5. Screw legs onto the plywood
6. Attach plywood with legs to the console using nails
7. Cut plywood for countertop with overhang for a bar area
8. Attach counter top to console
9. Sand and paint
10. Attach galvanized pipe towel rail
You can see the video of how to make your own kitchen island here
Vintage boxes and basket are optional elements for extra storage. You can get this pulled together kitchen island look for a great deal while upcycling furniture. Even better, is it is pretty easy. I hope you enjoy this stylish diy kitchen island project. Do you think you will make your own kitchen island? I’d love to see it! Tag us @familyfocusblog