June 6th is National Applesauce Cake Day! A great day to enjoy a forgotten treat. Applesauce cake is quick and easy to make for breakfast or an afternoon snack. If you haven’t heard of it before, applesauce cake is a light, fluffy, spiced cake. For all you non-cookers out there, this easy applesauce cake recipe is almost fool proof!
National Applesauce Cake Day
Applesauce cake became popular during World War I and was promoted as patriotic because some ingredients were limited at the time. Applesauce is great substitute for butter because it adds the natural sweetness and moisture to any recipe. I tried this recipe and loved it! The flour can be replaced with gluten free flour if you have a gluten allergy and it tastes just as delicious. This applesauce cake takes one hour to complete including the preparation and baking time. It is so good you will want to make it year round, not just June 6th!
Easy Applesauce Cake Recipe- A Simple Breakfast Spice Cake
Easy Applesauce Cake Ingredients:
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup chilled applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten free flour can be substituted!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ ground cloves
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
How To Make Applesauce Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until smooth. Add applesauce and mix well. Stir in flour, soda, and spices. Fold in nuts and raisins (optional).
- Pour the applesauce cake batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean. Serve applesauce cake warm.
Printable Recipe For Easy Applesauce Cake
The call it cake because it is so light and fluffy but it isn’t too sweet and you are sure to love it. I hope you enjoy this easy applesauce cake recipe for a light, spiced breakfast or snack. I think it has a very comforting, rich flavor. Tell me what you think of it. Have you ever had an applesauce cake before? Do you think you will try it out?