June 6th is National Applesauce Cake Day! A great day to enjoy a forgotten treat. Applesauce cake is quick and easy to make for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Maybe you have heard of it- it is a light, fluffy, spiced cake. For all you non-cookers out there like me, this easy applesauce cake recipe is almost fool proof!
National Applesauce Cake Day
Applesauce cake became popular during World War I and was promoted as patriotic because some ingredients were limited at the time. Applesauce is great substitute for butter because it adds the natural sweetness and moisture to any recipe. I tried this recipe and loved it! The flour can be replaced with gluten free flour if you have a gluten allergy and it tastes just as delicious. This applesauce cake takes one hour to complete including the preparation and baking time.
Easy Applesauce Cake Recipe
Easy Applesauce Cake Ingredients:
– ½ cup butter
– 1 cup white sugar
– 1 cup chilled applesauce
– 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten free flour can be substituted!)
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– ¼ ground cloves
– ½ cup raisins (optional)
– ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Easy Applesauce Cake Recipe Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until smooth. Add applesauce and mix well. Stir in flour, soda, and spices. Fold in nuts and raisins (optional).
- Pour the applesauce cake batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean. Serve applesauce cake warm.
I hope you enjoy this easy applesauce cake recipe for a light, spiced breakfast or snack. I think it has a very comforting, rich flavor. Tell me what you think of it. Have you ever had an applesauce cake before? Do you think you will try it out?