Everyone loves a good Asian chicken salad! It has become quite a popular dish at many restaurants so today I have a recipe for Chinese chicken salad with mandarin oranges that is easy to make at home. This recipe is from Chef Katie Chin‘s new cookbook: “Everyday Chinese Cookbook: 101 Delicious from Mother’s Kitchen”. She shared this recipe on Home & Family, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel and I received permission to share that with you here.
Katie Chin’s Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
Photo Credit: Copyright 2016 Crown Media Family Networks/Photographer: Jeremy Lee
This recipe for oriental chicken salad with mandarin oranges is low on sugar but high on flavor. You will love how easy it is to make an impress guests with your everyday Chinese cooking skills.
Chin’s Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing Recipe-
First you will make Chin’s chicken salad dressing recipe that is such an integral part of the flavors this dish is known for.
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/3 Cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
How To Make Chin’s Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing Recipe:
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and chili garlic sauce. Then add the oils and set aside to let your flavors come together while you prepare the easy recipe for the Chinese salad itself. Alternatively, you can place all the Asian dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake to mix well.
Recipe For Chinese Chicken Salad With Mandarin Oranges
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded (sometimes called purple cabbage)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 green onions (scallions), green and white parts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, plus more for garnish
- One 11-oz can sweet mandarin oranges in water, drained
- 2 cups shredded store bought rotisserie chicken meant (or grilled chicken breast slices)
- 1/2 cup fried wonton strips, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
How To Make Chinese Chicken Salad:
In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, red cabbage, carrot, green onion, sliced almonds, mandarin orange segments, tender chicken, wonton strips, and toasted sesame seeds.
Pour Chinese chicken salad dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Garnish with additional wonton strips.
Serve this easy, healthy Chinese chicken salad immediately. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
In place of rice wine vinegar, you may substitute rice vinegar or white vinegar.
In place of fried wonton strips, you may substitute crunchy noodles or broken up ramen noodles.
You may use Napa cabbage or green cabbage in place of red cabbage but this is not recommended because it does have a different flavor and is not as colorful.
Printable Recipe Card:
I hope you enjoy this recipe for delicious Chinese Chicken Salad with mandarin oranges. This tasty salad with crunchy toppings will be a crowd pleaser with the entire family. It is actually my favorite salad!
Do you think you will try this recipe? For more great every day Chinese food recipes, check out my affiliate link for the cookbook on amazon.
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #familyfocusblog! Let me know if it is a new family favorite!