Have you gotten into sheet pan dinner recipes yet? I really love this new fad because it is so easy to prepare dinner meat and veggies all on one tray and oven roasted food just tastes so good! Today I am happy to share a really delicious sheet pan recipe with you from Toby Amidor, nutrition expert at FoodNetwork.com and best-selling cookbook author. Toby’s philosophy is that “healthy and wholesome can also be delicious” and I completely agree. Her recipe for sheet pan chicken drumsticks with artichokes and onions is sure to be a new favorite at your house. This one pan chicken drumsticks recipe tastes delicious and it is so easy to make and clean with just the one baking pan.
Her new book is called, THE CREATE-YOUR-PLATE DIABETES COOKBOOK: A Plate Method Approach to Simple, Complete Meals. Using the “Diabetes Plate Method” Toby teaches at-home cooks how to plan nutritionally-rich and healthy meals – that also happen to be diabetes-friendly and delicious!
Dinner Recipe For Sheet Pan Drumsticks And Vegetables
The great thing about sheet pan dinner recipes is that you can cook your meat and your veggies all on one tray with fewer dishes and effort. It is easy dinner cooking and it also tends to be healthier. Now that is a big win! This chicken drumsticks recipes is simple and tasty and you will enjoy the roasted artichokes and onions with it for a hint of sophistication.
I have been granted permission to share this sheet pan dinner recipe here. All rights reserved. Sheet pan chicken recipe excerpt below from:
THE CREATE-YOUR-PLATE DIABETES COOKBOOK
A Plate Method Approach to Simple, Complete Meals
by Toby Amidor
March 17, 2020
American Diabetes Association
RECIPE FOR SHEET PAN CHICKEN WITH ARTICHOKES AND ONIONS
The slightly higher fat content of dark meat chicken imparts a lot of flavor and helps the chicken stay moist when cooked in the oven. The fat found in the dark meat (without the skin) is mostly heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. Plus, dark meat is more plentiful in iron and zinc than white meat chicken.
TOTAL TIME 1 hour plus 10 minutes cooling time
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 45 minutes
SERVING SIZE 2 drumsticks and 1 cup vegetables
Sheet Pan Dinner Ingredients
- 2 small red onions, peeled and quartered (with ends still attached so the quarters stay intact)
- 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 drumsticks, skin removed (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- season to taste with black pepper (optional)
You may substitute chicken thighs for drumsticks since they both take about 45 minutes to cook. Use a meat thermometer to check that they are fully cooked.
If you can’t find frozen artichokes, you can use frozen baby potatoes or baby carrots instead. In fact, I like a mix from PictSweet that comes with Brussels sprouts too.
How To Make Sheet Pan Dinner
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Add the red onion and artichoke hearts to a medium bowl. Add the canola oil and toss to coat. Place the vegetables in a single layer on a sheet pan.
3. Add the drumsticks to the empty medium bowl. Add the garlic and salt and toss to evenly coat the chicken. Place the drumsticks in the center of the vegetables on the sheet pan. Top each drumstick with a basil leaf and place the lemon slices on top and on the sides of the chicken.
If you line the baking sheet pan with aluminum foil first, it will make clean up even easier!
4. Bake until a thermometer inserted into a drumstick reads 165°F for the internal temperature, about 45 minutes cooking time. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
That is it! Four simple steps. This chicken drumstick sheet pan dinner is that easy! This sheet pan chicken drumsticks and veggies recipe is a big hit at my house on busy weeknights. Additionally, it is pretty easy on your budget since drumsticks tend to be a less expensive cut of meat while still being some of the most flavorful chicken. Frozen veggies tend to be budget-friendly too especially if you get them on sale.
Printable Chicken Sheet Pan Recipe
This easy recipe makes a nice, healthy dinner. Are you a fan of sheet pan dinners? I hope you enjoy this delicious, healthy sheet pan chicken recipe with veggies and it becomes a new family favorite dinner recipe at your house. Let us know what you think and/or share your photos with #familyfocusblog!