My daughter recently became a vegetarian and I discovered that quinoa is a very nutritious grain which actually is also a complete protein! Quinoa is gaining recognition as a very healthy food for other reasons too- it is high in antioxidant phytonutrients and even contains anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. But this Sweet Potato Quinoa Taco Recipe will make you love quinoa for its flavor! These sweet potato quinoa tacos make a complete meal that is tasty and great for the whole family.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Taco Recipe
I have to say that I got the idea for these tacos when I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on Food Network. Guy Fieri featured a restaurant that served tacos with quinoa and sweet potato and I had a bag of quinoa that Nuts.com had sent to me so I decided I would try to make my own version. It came out great. The whole family enjoyed the flavors. We went light on the chipotle because my kids don’t like too much spice but it is such a great flavor with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes- I think you will love it.
Serves 4 (about 8 tacos)
Sweet Potato Quinoa Taco Ingredients:
- 1/4 ground habanero powder or ground chipotle powder (make your own or buy it)
- 2 small peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable broth (or chicken broth or water)
- 1 small jalepeno with seeds removed and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- tortilla shells, I used soft flour tortillas for mine
- 2 cups of very finely sliced red cabbage
- tomatillo salsa aka salsa verde (my husband makes his own but you can also buy it from brands such as Jardine’s, Frontera, and others)
- sour cream (optional for garnish)
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
Sweet Potato Quinoa Taco Directions:
1. Combine all of the taco filling ingredients (ground chipotle powder, sweet potatoes, quinoa, vegetable broth, jalepeno, salt, and ground cumin) in a pot and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook about 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
2. While the filling cools a bit, prepare your garnishes.
3. Assemble your tacos. Lay down the warmed tortilla shells (a few seconds in the microwave or in a warm skillet) on a plate and scoop on the sweet potato quinoa filling. Then garnish with red cabbage, cilantro, tomatillo salsa, a bit of sour cream and some lime juice. Fold them over and serve.
You can serve these sweet potato quinoa tacos by themselves or with some tortilla chips. I hope you enjoy the sweet potato quinoa taco recipe. It is actually quite easy to cook and it works for vegans if you don’t add the sour cream or chicken broth. I know I love having new vegetarian dinners to try for Meatless Mondays! Do you think you will make these sweet potato quinoa tacos? Tag me in any photos of your tacos @familyfocusblog and let me know what you think if you do!
If you love sweet potatoes, you may also want to try this delicious sweet potato nourish bowl recipe.
If you love quinoa, you may to try this fabulous Two Peas And Their Pod recipe for Vegetarian Quinoa Chili.