My daughter recently became a vegetarian and I discovered that quinoa is a very nutritious grain which actually is also a complete protein! Quinoa is gaining recognition as a very healthy food for other reasons too- it is high in antioxidant phytonutrients and even contains anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. This Sweet Potato Quinoa Vegan Taco Recipe will make you love quinoa for its hearty, satisfying feeling. These sweet potato quinoa tacos make a complete meal that is tasty and great for the whole family.
Vegan Quinoa Tacos
I have to say that I got the idea for these tacos when I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on Food Network. Guy Fieri featured a restaurant that served tacos with quinoa and sweet potato and I had a bag of quinoa that Nuts.com had sent to me so I decided I would try to make my own version. It came out great. Unlike most grain, quinoa is rich in protein and B vitamins so it is particularly great for vegetarians and vegans.
We went light on the chipotle because my kids don’t like too much spice. However, the hint of chipotle contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the bright, herbaceous cilantro. The acid of the lime brightens things up and makes your mouth water. Yum!
Happy vegan taco night!
Serves 4 (about 8 tacos)
- 1/4 ground habanero powder or ground chipotle chili powder (make your own or buy it)
- 2 small peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- tortilla shells, I used soft flour tortillas because I like soft tacos
- 2 cups of very finely sliced red cabbage
- tomatillo salsa aka salsa verde (my husband makes his own but you can also buy it from brands such as Jardine’s, Frontera, and others)
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
How To Make Sweet Potato Tacos:
1. Combine all of the taco filling ingredients (ground chipotle powder, sweet potatoes, quinoa, vegetable broth, jalepeno, salt, and ground cumin) in a pot and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook about 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
2. While the filling cools a bit, prepare your garnishes.
3. Assemble tacos. Warm tortillas are easier to handle without them breaking and they taste better. Lay down the warmed tortilla shells (a few seconds in the microwave or in a warm skillet) on a plate and scoop on the sweet potato quinoa filling. Then garnish with red cabbage, cilantro, tomatillo salsa, a bit of vegan sour cream and some lime juice. Fold them over and serve.
You can serve these sweet potato quinoa tacos by themselves or with some tortilla chips. I hope you enjoy the sweet potato quinoa taco recipe. It is actually quite easy to cook.
- You can absolutely use soft corn tortillas or crunchy taco shells if you prefer those.
- If you’d like even more protein, black beans make a yummy side dish to serve with this quinoa taco filling.
- Other great options for side dishes include corn tortilla chips and pico de gallo.
- Pickled red onions are a tasty garnish with these tacos.
These veggie tacos are so flavorful and delicious, you won’t miss the meat. I know I love having new vegetarian dinners to try for Meatless Mondays! Do you think you will make these sweet potato quinoa tacos? Tag me in your Taco Tuesday photos @familyfocusblog and let me know what you think of this vegan taco recipe!
Printable Recipe Card For Vegan Tacos With Sweet Potato and Quinoa
If you love sweet potatoes, you may also want to try this delicious sweet potato nourish bowl recipe.
If you love quinoa, you may to try this Curry Quinoa Salad Recipe.