This gluten-free dish takes on an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach, leaning on fresh broccoli, edamame, curried tofu, sweet potatoes, sunflower seeds and a yummy ginger peanut sauce to make the end result an absolute delight. Make this gorgeous, rainbow Vegan Rice Bowl tonight and have leftovers for tomorrow! The vegan Rice Bowl Recipe is shared courtesy of Caroline Shannon-Karasik, author of The Gluten-Free Revolution: A Balanced Guide to a Gluten-Free Lifestyle through Healthy Recipes, Green Smoothies, Yoga, Pilates, and Easy Desserts!
The curried tofu in this rice bowl recipe is so full of yummy flavor that even meat lovers may love this plant based protein rice bowl!
Curried Tofu and Broccoli Vegan Rice Bowl (gluten-free)
Rainbow Rice Bowl Ingredients (4 servings)
– 1 Tablespoon olive oil
– 1 14-ounce block of firm tofu, cubed
– 1 Tablespoon yellow curry powder
– 1/2 teaspoon cumin
for ginger peanut sauce
– 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
– fresh juice of 1/2 an orange (or lemon)
– 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
– 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
– 3 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
– 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot or tapioca starch
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 Tablespoons ginger, minced
for rice and veggies
– 4 cups cooked brown rice
– 2 cups sweet potato purée (use canned or purée fresh baked sweet
potatoes in food processor)
– 1-1/2 cups shelled edamame
– 1 cup orange pepper slices
– 2 cups raw broccoli florets
– raw sunflower seeds (for sprinkling)
How To Make Vegan Rice Bowls
Prepare curried tofu
Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan and add tofu. Sprinkle curry and cumin powders on top, stirring to evenly coat tofu. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare ginger peanut sauce
In a medium saucepan, combine soy sauce, orange juice, sesame oil, light brown sugar, peanut butter, starch, garlic and ginger, whisking consistently over medium-low heat. Continue whisking throughout cooking process, until sauce begins to thicken. Immediately remove from heat to avoid over-cooking.
Assemble rice bowls
Prepare 4 bowls by placing 1 cup of brown rice in each. Divide ginger peanut sauce evenly amongst bowls, drizzling on top of rice. Top each with a 1/2 cup of sweet potato purée. Divide edamame, tofu, orange pepper slices and broccoli evenly amongst the four bowls. Top each by sprinkling with sunflower seeds.
Serve immediately or store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Printable Recipe For Vegan Rice Bowl
I hope you enjoy this Rainbow Rice Bowl recipe. It is simple to assemble and perfect for the whole family to try as a Meatless Monday option.
Thanks to Caroline Shannon-Karasik for sharing this curried tofu broccoli Rice Bowl recipe with us.