Here is a step-by-step recipe for making white vegetable lasagna. This is a vegetarian alternative to traditional lasagna but equally as delicious! I used almond milk, brown rice lasagna, vegan butter and brown rice flour as substitutions for an even healthier meal. The end result is still fantastic. This vegetable lasagna with white sauce pairs well with fresh garlic bread and a spring mix salad. This is a traditional Italian recipe in my family so I really hope you enjoy!
Instead of a traditional tomato sauce, this easy vegetable lasagna uses a white sauce which is an Italian Béchamel.
Instead of a meat filling, this white lasagna uses veggies and several cheeses and is oh so delicious! I actually only use spinach as my vegetable of choice so this is really a white spinach lasagna recipe but you can easy add some sautéed mushrooms or roasted broccoli if you like. This white sauce lasagna makes perfect comfort food with the layers of noodles and spinach mixture with plenty of cheese all in the creamy white sauce.
Vegetable Lasagna With White Sauce:
Ingredients for White Lasagna Recipe:
- Lasagna noodles
- white lasagna sauce (ingredients and instructions below)
- white lasagna filling (ingredients and instructions below)
Ingredients for White Lasagna Filling:
- Chopped fresh spinach
- Fontina cheese
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Italian seasoning (optional)
Instructions for White Lasagna Filling:
- First, chop and cook the spinach on a medium size pan.
- In a medium size bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups of Fontina cheese, 1 cup of ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, and the chopped spinach.
Ingredients for White Lasagna Sauce AKA Béchamel sauce:
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter (or olive oil)
- 2.5 tablespoon of flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- Dash of pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
Instructions for Creamy White Sauce:
- In a medium size pan, melt butter and cook the chopped onion, and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the flour, nutmeg and pepper.
- Add in the milk all at once and stir until it has a smooth consistency. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and remove the bechamel sauce from heat.
If you are thinking a great way to save time would be to buy a bottle of alfredo sauce at the grocery store. You are right. You could do that. But it isn’t exactly the same sauce and this homemade one is much better!
How To Make Vegetable Lasagna Recipe With White Sauce:
- You will need to cook 9 lasagna noodles according to al dente package instructions.
- In a small lasagna pan, coat the bottom with a small amount of the sauce. This helps ensure the noodles don’t stick to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles at the bottom, make sure they overlap each other.
- Cover the noodles with half of the lasagna filling and 1/3 of the sauce on top of that.
- Repeat once more a second layer of lasagna noodles, filling, and sauce.
- Top with the last layer of lasagna noodles. Then pour the rest of the sauce on the top of the lasagna.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in pre heated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Top with parsley and a few red pepper flakes (optional) before serving and enjoy!
You are going to love this vegetarian lasagna with white sauce!
How long do I bake white veggie lasagna?
Well generally speaking, everything is already cooked that you add to your lasagna pan. However, baking it in the oven helps raise the temperature of the whole dish. It also helps all the of the flavors come together nicely. Additionally, if there is any ground beef or eggs in the lasagna baking it in the oven helps the temperature reach 160 for food sanitation safety. You should bake lasagna for 30-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Printable Recipe Card For Vegetarian White Lasagna
Doesn’t this vegetarian white lasagna recipe look good? I just love all that cheesy goodness mixed with the spinach and noodles. Have you ever had a white lasagna before? This white vegetable lasagna recipe is perfect to try for Meatless Mondays!