Want some easy paint project ideas for using leftover paint to spruce up your home with some color? These five easy paint project ideas (plus some bonus inspiration) will give your leftover paint some purpose — and give a room a fresh look to boot. You are going to love these creative, small painting project ideas.
What To Do With Leftover Paint?Try These Easy, Small DIY Paint Project Ideas
DIY Paint Project Idea No. 1: Use a full gallon of leftover paint to …
Create an interesting wainscoting effect by painting the lower half of the wall around a room with a contrasting or complementary hue. Use painter’s tape to make a clean line, or use a rag or dry brush to blur the edges between the two colors for a funkier, more artistic finish.
Small Paint Project Idea No. 2: Use a couple of quarts of paint to …
Rehab old wooden or metal furniture. Keep an eye out for wood rockers, kitchen chairs, vintage bureaus, washstands or small tables at flea markets and yard sales. With a fresh coat of paint, these pieces can be a simple way to add personality to a room.
Easy Paint project idea No. 3: Use a quart of paint to …
Paint the inside of a cabinet, armoire, closet or even drawers for an unexpected pop of color when the doors are opened. Bonus: Using a light color makes it easier to see into the back corners.
DIY Paint Project Idea No. 4: Use a pint or two of paint to …
With painter’s tape and a ruler, create a graphic mural of squares, rectangles or triangles. Also try painting square wood panels to add a pop art element to any room.
Photo: YOLO Colorhouse
Small Paint project idea No. 5: Use remnants of leftover paint to …
Unleash your inner artist. Use the remnants of a can of paint to make a few bold strokes on craft paper or poster board. Or try your hand at spin art using a spin art machine. Sign and frame!
More Creative Ideas For What To Do With Leftover Paint
If you have …
A gallon of paint:
- Paint an accent wall to act as a focal point for a room or define a space.
- Brighten a narrow or dark hallway with a vivid hue.
A quart or two of paint:
- Paint a 4-inch-wide chair rail around a room to create an accent. (The rule of thumb is to paint it about one-third of the way up from the floor.)
- Paint a faux headboard for your bed. Keep it simple with a rectangular shape, or add drama with an elegant arched top.
A pint or two of leftover paint:
- Paint the inside of a metal medicine cabinet with a bright, cheery hue.
- Paint just the drawer facades of a bureau for an unexpected pop.
- Paint the edges of a bookcase to add definition and make a bold, visual pattern.
- Create a simple stencil to make a frame around an inset shelf or niche.
- Freshen up the frame of an old mirror.
- Coat the inside of clear glass bottles, vases or jars with paint to make glossy, colorful decorative accessories.
I hope you enjoyed these ideas for what to do with leftover paint. Which one is your favorite?
Post contributed by By Katie Kretschmer for Home Rehab Online. Get more by following @DIYHomeRehabor on Facebook at Home-Rehab. Katie Kretschmer is a writer and editor whose work touches all areas of style — from fashion, art and design to crafts, decorating and DIY.