It’s important to me to prepare meals for my family that are home cooked and include fresh, natural ingredients. The trouble is finding recipes that are kid friendly and still enjoyable for us adults. This baked squash and green chile casserole recipe fits the bill because your kids will love the cheese and you will love all the flavorful veggies hidden in there. Some people may also know this dish as a green chili squash casserole. There is common confusion between chili and chile but this recipe uses Hatch chile that is why I say it is a green chile squash casserole.
I became acquainted with this Baked Squash and Green Chile Casserole dish at a dinner party I attended recently and it was a huge hit. When I asked for the recipe, I came to find out that the overwhelming flavor was coming from the green chiles my girlfriend had purchased online from a little family farm in Hatch, NM called Berridge Farms. I had to try them out because the green chile in the dish was mild enough for everyone, but still bursting with flavor! I ordered the chiles for myself the very next day and have been using them in our family meals ever since. This Green Chile casserole recipe is so easy and a particular favorite at our dinner table. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Squash and Green Chile Recipe
Green Chile Squash Casserole Ingredients:
- 6-8 small yellow squash (or zucchini), sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- one small yellow onion, diced
- 2 slices of toast, diced (or panko bread crumbs or crumbled Ritz crackers )
- ½ lb grated Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 6-8 roasted, peeled, chopped Hatch green chiles
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
How To Make Squash And Green Chile Casserole
- In a large pan over medium to medium high heat, add the butter, olive oil, squash and onion. Saute for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add tomatoes and green chiles to squash/onion mixture and cook for another 3-5 minutes allowing the flavors to come together.
- In 8/8 baking dish, layer squash mixture, diced toast, crumbled bacon, and grated cheese. Finish with a layer of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
This very easy casserole side dish tastes almost a bit like a New Mexican themed lasagna! It is a very tasty way to get your veggies. This squash casserole with bacon and Ritz crackers is sure to be popular at your next gathering.
Printable Squash and Green Chile Casserole
If you make the green chile squash casserole, share a picture @familyfocusblog and let us know how you like it! Have you tried New Mexico Hatch green chiles before? Do you call them summer squash or yellow squash?