Erin Dow is a chef with over 14 years of experience. She’s cooked for Anthony Bourdain and now she’s cooking for Guiding Stars. Erin creates original recipes using the Guiding Stars nutrition rating system to help you plan nutritious meals that everyone will enjoy. Today, she is sharing an Indian-inspired dessert (gajar ka halwa) that is simple, sweet, and nutritious. This carrot bar recipe is a very healthy dessert. The kids will love the carrot bars because they are sweet and you will love to get some extra fruit, veggies, and nuts into the kids with them asking for more!
Perfect for wowing the guests at your next celebration, this spiced-sweet confection is as lovely to look at as it is flavorful. Look for green cardamom pods at your local Indian grocer. The cardamom gives it a bit of an exotic, delicious spiced flavor. You can use the leftover cardamom in your chai tea for more incredible flavor.
There is no refined white sugar in this dessert because the sweetness comes naturally from the date puree, the apple sauce, and the carrots. They are sort of like sweet carrot fudge bars. Surprisingly delicious!
Indian-Inspired Carrot Bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 696 Grams
Indian Carrot Bar Ingredients
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or ghee
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- 4 pounds carrots, peeled and grated
- 8 cups skim milk
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 6 tablespoons date puree
How To Make Carrot Bars:
- Toast almonds over dry heat until fragrant.
- Combine grated carrots, milk, and cardamom pods in a large, heavy bottomed pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until all milk has evaporated, about 40 minutes.
- When liquid has evaporated, remove cardamom pods. Add oil and applesauce.
- Fry, stirring constantly, until dark orange, about 30 minutes.
- Add date puree and almonds.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Spread into a baking pan and allow to come to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Store any leftover carrot bars in the refrigerator.
Printable Sweet Spiced Carrot Bar Recipe
I hope you enjoy this healthy dessert option. These carrot bars really are a fun exotic treat to add to your cooking repertoire!
Share your pics @familyfocusblog!