If super sweet desserts are not your thing, then you will love this semi-savory dessert.
Chef Fabio Viviani gives the apple pie a twist by adding cheese and he says, “You’re welcome!” This apple pie with cheddar cheese was featured on Home & Family, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. I was given permission to share it with you here.
Fabio Viviani’s Apple Pie With Cheddar Cheese
Chef Fabio Viviani sure to get your taste buds going with this sweet and savory dessert. Apple pie with cheddar cheese is going to be a new favorite and you may like to enjoy it with a glass of white wine as well!
Apple Pie With Cheddar Cheese Recipe
You can make a pie crust with Chef Fabio Viviani recipe (or use a store bought pie crust).
Ingredients for Savory Pie Dough
• 2 cups flour
• 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into tiny cubes
• 1⁄4 cup ice water
Directions for Pie Dough
1) Combine the flour, salt, nutmeg, and butter in a food processor and pulse together until the mixture has the consistency of wet sand. Drizzle in the water until a ball of dough forms.
2) Take out the dough, pressing any loose bits onto the ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
3) Then, on a lightly floured work surface, work the dough in 2 separate balls and roll until wide enough to be able to cut a circle from each round about 12 inches in diameter.
4. Place one round in the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch springform pan; the edges will come up the sides and that’s ok. Refrigerate the dough-lined pan, and the other dough circle for at least 15 minutes.
Next, prepare the filling.
Ingredients for Cheddar Cheese Apple Pie Filling
• 1 recipe Fabio’s Savory Pie Dough (recipe follows)
• 15 medium green sour apples (granny smith work well)
• Juice of 3 limes
• 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
• 1/2 cup grated grana padano cheese (similar to Parmigiano Reggiano or “parmesan” cheese)
• 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
• 2 egg yolks, beaten with 3 tablespoons water
Directions for Apple Pie With Cheddar Cheese
1) Preheat the oven to 450 F
2) Peel and core the apples and cut them into 1⁄4 inch thick slices. Toss them with the lime juice.
3) In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg.
4) Add the mixture to the apples and mix well, making sure that all the dry ingredients are absorbed by the lime juice. Let rest for 15 minutes.
5) Put the apple filling into the pie pan and flatten it with our hand a bit. Sprinkle the butter, cheddar cheese, and grana padano on top of the apples and top with the other circle of dough, tucking it in to form a kind of dough package around the apples.
6) Using a paring a knife, cut several steam vents on top of dough. Lightly brush surface with egg wash.
7) Bake the pie for about 15-20 minutes until the top crust starts to get lightly browned.
8) Reduce the over to 350F, rotate the pie, and continue baking until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling, about 1 1⁄4 hours.
9) Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving. Serve sprinkled with more grana padano if desired and/or with whip cream.
You may also like to see the apple pie with cheddar cheese video segment
Do you like a semi savory dessert? Do you think you will try this apple pie with cheddar cheese recipe from Chef Viviani?