I love this homemade, old-fashioned fresh apple cake recipe from the owner of Studmuffin Desserts, Chef Seth Raphaeli. This apple bundt cake is made from scratch, moist, easy, and delightful! It is a grand-mère pomme gâteau which is French for grandmother’s apple cake! Don’t let the fancy French words scare you. I saw Chef Seth Raphaeli whip this old fashioned French apple cake up in minutes on Home & Family which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. I was given permission to share the recipe with my readers.
Old Fashioned Fresh Apple Cake
H&F Photo Credit: Copyright 2015 Crown Media Family Networks/Photographer: Jeremy Lee
Fresh apple desserts are such a fabulous treat and this one is really the easiest of cakes with just a few simple ingredients . You are going to love Chef Seth Raphaeli’s recipe for French apple cake made from scratch! This old fashioned fresh apple cake is one of his most famous desserts.
French Apple Cake Ingredients-
- 4 Large Apples / about 6 cups cut into thin slices (I suggest a variety of apples and mix McIntosh and Granny Smith for even more yummy apple flavor.)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup Grape-seed Oil
- 4 Jumbo eggs
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
How To Make French Apple Cake From Scratch:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease the bundt pan with melted butter or non-stick cooking spray and then follow with a bit of all purpose flour sifted over the prepared pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix the slices of apples with the cinnamon and 5 tablespoons sugar. Set aside and let stand.
4. Sift together the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and set flour mixture aside.
5. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the eggs with sugar until pale light in color and then add in the oil.
6. To the wet ingredients, alternately add the dry ingredients in with the orange juice starting with and ending with the dry ingredients.
7. Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix well.
8. Layer the cake and apple slices by pouring cake batter into the pan and alternating with apple slices. Top layer should be cake batter. Use a rubber spatula to clean the sides of the bowl into the bundt pan.
9. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 to 1 3/4 hours until golden brown.
10. Test the homemade apple cake bundt with a toothpick or cake tester to make sure it’s done.
11. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire cooling rack for 15 minutes. At this point the cake should be firm enough to flip over the pan onto the wire cooling rack and allow the cake to fall out without breaking.
12. When it has cooled and you are ready to serve, sprinkle the top of the cake with powered sugar. Slice and enjoy!
Want to see the Studmuffin chef himself? Watch the episode here.
Printable Fresh Apple Cake Recipe Card
This homemade old Fashioned Fresh Apple Cake is making my mouth water just thinking about it! I love to drizzle a few drops of dark rum here and there before I eat mine. This rustic cake is so good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream too!
Would you serve this classic French Apple cake recipe as dessert or breakfast?